Windows 10 Freezes But Mouse Still Moves

Problem in a nutshell.  Windows 10 will, after what appears to be a random duration, freeze up.  The mouse pointer will still move, but nothing else responds (also unable to bring up the task manager).  I have since performed a clean install, holding off on installing any drivers or software, and the desktop continues to freeze up with the exception of the mouse pointer.  Any thoughts?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

From what you have mentioned, I would suggest you to try these steps to see if it resolves the issue

Method 1: Troubleshoot

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse. Refer these steps:

1. Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
  2. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
  3. Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
  4. Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

Method 2.
Try updating the latest Mice and other pointing devices from the manufacturer's website and check if the issue persists.
Follow the steps to update the audio drivers:
a. Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
b. Expand the Mice and other pointing devices.
c. Right-click on the HID compliant mouse and click on Update driver software.
d. Restart the computer and check.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I ran the hardware troubleshooter, but with no results.  Likewise, I have updated the mouse drivers with the most recent ones supplied by the manufacturer, with no results.  I feel the need to point out that the mouse operates fine.  It's everything else that freezes up.  Windows completely locks up and becomes unresponsive, with only the mouse pointer showing any signs of life.

36 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So, what....no response?  Your default answer is to update the drivers for my mouse, and beyond that you're stumped?  Please either get back to me with further troubleshooting, or e-mail me a key for Windows 7 so I can go back to an operating system that works.

136 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This happened to me repeatedly until I disabled/broke Windows update, antimalware, and Windows defender.  Then the system was fine.  You have to break these services.  Microsoft is fully aware of it and won't even address it.  Just search Windows 10 freeze at login or after login.  This is all related to these services and until they acknowledge it, it will stay that way.  

42 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, the solution Microsoft (Arun B J  below) suggested doesn't work  

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This happend to me and is is not a mouse issue but an SSD issue (I assume you have an SSD?).  I found this on the web:

How To Fix Windows 10 Freezes With SSD

Identify if you are running the inbox AHCI driver (StorAHCI.sys):

• Open a command prompt with administrator privileges. Then type the following command in the command prompt window and hit Enter: devmgmt.msc
  • Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers right-click on the AHCI controller node and select Properties. This node is usually called “Standard SATA AHCI Controller.”
  • Navigate to the driver tab and click Driver Details.
  • If you see “StorAHCI.sys” in the list, you are running the inbox driver.

Disable MSI for the controller in the registry:

• With the same properties window opened, navigate to the Details tab and select Device instance path from the Property drop-down menu. Note this path.
  • Open the registry editor by running regedit
  • Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetEnumPCI(AHCI Controller)Device ParametersInterrupt ManagementMessageSignaledInterruptProperties, where (AHCI Controller) refers to the device instance path you noted earlier.
  • Change the value of the MSISupported key from “1” to “0”.
  • Repeat the steps for all AHCI controllers found in Device Manager.
  • Reboot the machine.
Driver Update Option

If you’re using the generic driver StorAHCI, I would recommend trying to find the driver that matches your chipset. In my case, it is Intel. While I thought I installed all of the drivers from my laptop manufacturer, I realized the AHCI driver didn’t actually install. It copied the files to a folder but there wasn’t an installer exe.

• Go to Device Manager and IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
  • Right click on the Generic SATA controller and go to Update Driver Software.
  • Click “Browse My Computer For Driver Software” and browse to the folder where your driver is extracted to.
  • After clicking Next, it should automatically detect the updated driver and ask you to reboot.

It is almost always better to run matching drivers than use the generic ones. I’m still testing, but so far I haven’t had anymore freezing.

While the Microsoft article refers to the disk usage getting stuck at 100%, I cannot verify if that was the cause of my issue since I couldn’t access Task Manager when it happened. After a few hours of making this registry change, I haven’t had the issue repeat itself.

If you’ve encountered this issue, let us know if this fix worked for you or not by leaving a comment below.

105 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2020 Views 68,354 Applies to: