windows 10 forgot password, unable to login

I have a laptop running on windows 10 which I upgraded from windows 8, do not have cd.

forgot password.

Not sure if it is the internet version of the password (microsoft log in), or I set the password for the computer without logging onto the internet (local user)

the microsoft password reset password does not work, so I assume I set it to a password that is different from the microsoft log in version, e.g., I think what is called "local user" version).

Any help appreciated.

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to go through the below link and follow the suggestions provided by Wasim Asad and see if it helps in resolving the issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/when-trying-to-sign-into-windows-10-for-the-first/761f9e00-1419-46f5-ab81-bccb1f82803e?tm=1439853865980

If you still unable to login, then try with the below steps.

1. Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the Power button, and then select Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.

3. Select the restore point created prior to this problem and follow the on-screen instructions to restore your PC to earlier point of time.

4. Now try to boot your PC into normal mode and see if it works.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you have another computer and a USB?

If yes, then you can go to the download page for windows 10 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10)

Then download the media tool.

After click "create installation media for another computer".

Then uncheck "use the recommended options for this PC" and then select your language, the edition of windows you have on the computer you upgraded from windows 8, and choose 32-bit or 64-bit depending on your computer.

After that choose "USB flash drive"

Then select the USB drive from the list.

Now, wait while windows downloads windows 10 on your USB.

When the download is finished take out the USB.

Plug the usb drive into your locked laptop.

Turn on the laptop.

Press any key to boot from the USB drive when you see the message to do so.

Then accept everything.Now when it gives you the option to do a clean install or upgrade click clean install.

Then delete every partition you see until there's one partition called unallocated space.

Select that partition and click next.

Now wait while your computer installs windows 10 again.

Shumitra Dutta

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You could try reseting your Microsoft account's password and then try to use it to see if it works.

Otherwise I would go for a clean install, you can do that by, on the logon page, clicking "Restart" holding SHIFT, then going to recovery, then reset your PC. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR FILES.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 7,966 Applies to: