Windows 10 FIRST BOOT phase failure

I'm getting the following error when trying to install Windows 10 Pro:

0xC1900101-0x30017

The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation.

The install keeps hanging for hours, and I've tried uninstalling my anti-virus and using the Media creation for installation as well.  Nothing seems to work.  Ideas?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would require some more information to help you better.

1. What is the make & model of the computer?
  2. How are you trying to install the windows 10?

The issue could be related to any third party software or hardware that might be conflicting with the upgrade.

Please make sure that you have installed all the Windows updates available before you start the upgrade process, Also, make sure all drivers are up-to-date before upgrading.

Let us follow some troubleshooting steps and check if that helps:

Step: 1

Disconnect any devices attached to the Computer except Mouse & keyboard.

Step: 2

If you are using any third-party antivirus software, you may temporarily disable it and check if you can upgrade.

Disable Antivirus:

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Disable Anti-virus software
the issue may also arise due to the security software installed in your system. So, I would suggest you to disable the anti-virus installed on your system and check if the issue persists.
Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Step: 3

I suggest you to place your computer in the clean boot to find if any third party applications conflicting.

Clean boot:

Please follow the link to perform a clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished clean boot, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.
a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

For more information I would suggest you to refer to the below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-10-specifications

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was having the same issue when trying to upgrade to 10 from a USB. Try doing the upgrade through Windows Update and see if that helps.  I tried every suggestion I could find online regarding that same error and nothing worked.  I tried reinstalling maybe 10 times and gave up.  I let Windows Update do the upgrade and it worked the first time flawlessly.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did all the steps in the above and it stilled failed.

John

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ditto, not helpful at all. All I ever get is a cursor-less black screen mid upgrade. Then when I restart the computer it reverts back to Windows 7.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Let’s see how I can help you today.

To assist you better I would like to know, how are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows update or Windows 10 ISO?

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps. I suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows 10 ISO. Click on the link and try the steps on upgrading to Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Hope this helps. Let us know the status.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am having this issue. Trying to update a Dell Latitude E4300 laptop [currently running Windows 7 home 64bit] using a Win 10 ISO created using the media creator tool 2 weeks ago. Running only Windows Defender as anti-virus and no peripherals connected.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, having this same issue on a HP 2000 Notebook. Called Microsoft several times with no resolve and given a new case ID#. Attempted to utilize the Microsoft Media Creation Tool as instructed to update and/or fix issues. Still no resolve. Finally given an error code message saying, ""We could not install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10. 0xC1900101-0x30017 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation".

Made some attempts to figure out why this continues to occur. Have not found a resolution as of yet. Microsoft said contact the manufacturer then call back...due to the laptop being an older model the updates continue to render necessary operability drivers useless causing the system to become unstable in operability once certain updates have installed on completion. This is not good on Windows 10 as y laptop works fine if it's not on Windows 10. However, due to the free upgraded version of Windows 10, one cannot turn off auto-updates nor revert back to Windows 7 due to being forced to do a fresh install and losing everything on my laptop because it would not boot at all after a patch update.

I can honestly say, I am really mad with Bill Gates for this foolishness because this is one of my work laptops that now partially functions and will shut down and go into a blue screen whenever it feels like it, not to mention sometimes it just loads to a black screen and just gets stuck sitting there forcing me to reset the entire laptop.

Ms. Lessynz

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

10 asennus pysähtyi tähän

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, I have tried everything that has been posted here and everywhere else about getting Windows Update 1709 to install and nothing works.

I keep ending up with these messages -

"Stopcode: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED"

"0xC1900101 - 0x30017 The installation failed in the first_boot phase with and error during boot operation"

Then I am back to version 1703.

Then Windows Update goes and downloads the whole damn thing all over again, it's like your programmers are fans of Groundhog Day or something. How much data is being used by this endless re-downloading of an update that doesn't update!! I only have a limited amount of data per month and this thing has had like 30 plus attempts already.

I have done your clean boots and your Windows Update Assistants your Command Prompt scans your deleting of previous downloads and renaming things to 'old' and your bootable USB's... which I might add when I try to install from the bootable USB as per the instructions on your website it then goes on to say "The upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using Windows installation media" !!?  So I then go into Windows and try to run it from the USB ... HOURS later I get the same error messages as above.

I have checked my Event Viewer for error messages, there were lots of errors saying 'DCOM got error "1503" attempting to start the service Bluetooth Device Monitor with arguments "Unavailable". It then goes on to say "Faulting Application name: devmonsrv.exe Exception Code: 0xc0000005"

Is this the problem? What is it and how do I fix it? Will Windows Update work when this is fixed? 

So anyway I switched Bluetooth back on (which I had switched off cause I don't really use it) and 'removed' all devices that had previously used it... didn't help! Didn't stop the Bluetooth error messages in Event Viewer either...!?

Also in Event Viewer is one warning about 'HP Client Services' but it doesn't say what it is other than "Unknown service request received."

And several warnings about "CVHSVC.EXE client virtualization handler" ... Should I be enabling Virtualization Technology in the BIOS? Or is this an unrelated thing?

In Event Viewer/setup there is lots of these "Windows Update could not be installed because of error 2149842967" but searching that term takes me back to the error messages I have at the top of this rant.

I have no choice now but to switch off Windows Update (another Command Prompt thing!). You do realise that ordinary people use your software? Not Microsoft Certified Programmers! How can you release a major update that causes so many issues that people can't fix? Or are you trying to enforce mass redundancy or something?

I would welcome any suggestion that works, please don't say Windows Update Troubleshooter....

Andrew

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a hard drive failure before i could figure out whst yo do. So i had to reload a fresh copy of windows to the new disc. Updatesvsince yhen havr been good
John

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 77,224 Applies to: