windows 10 firewall keeps turning itself ON how to stop it

I don't need that windows firewall
as I have bitdefender total security
when first installed bitdefender it shut down windows firewall
and it keep off even after restart
but SOME games after I run them and then restart windows firewall will turn itself on again
how o stop it ?
I shut it down from control panel but after running SOME GAMES it will turn itself on again
it happened with only some kind of games .

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

What kind of games are you referring to?

Follow the steps below to disable Windows Firewall services.

1. Press Windows +R
  2. Type services.msc and press Enter

Locate Windows Firewall

3. Right click on it and select disable.

4. Also ensure that the startup type is set from Automatic to manual.

Hope this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Thanks & Regards
Joy

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It turns itself back on after some reboots/starts of your computer unless you set the service to "disabled", but then your windows updates wont work.

Like other users I don't need the windows firewall as I'm using a better 3rd party program and usually only notice it turned itself on when something online stops working (usually games) or a stupid popup comes asking me for permission for something that is already setup in my own firewall.

I use comodo so this issue clearly happens with different firewalls as well and can be found posted all around the internet. I hope microsoft will fix this issue a.s.a.p. as above is only a temporary solution and I want my windows up-to-date.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

From your issue description, I understand that you have an issue with “Windows Firewall”, as it turns off, and then turn on by itself.

Please be informed that Installation of more than one security programs leads to conflict. Install any one antivirus program and update it with latest definition updates.

Method 1:

Perform Virus Scan in Safe Mode with Networking:

Note: Some of viruses are unable to detect in Normal mode. So I suggest you to perform “Virus can in Safe mode with Networking” and then check.

Step 1:

Start the computer in “Safe mode with networking mode”, to start the computer with minimal set of drivers and files and also includes the network drivers and services needed to access the Internet or other computers on your network. You may follow the article below and check if it helps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Step 2: Perform Virus Scan:

Disclaimer for Virus scan: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

1. The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

2. Restart the computer to see whether the problem goes away.

Method 2: Disable or uninstall Third party Windows Firewall program and then check.

Disclaimer to disable Firewall: You should not turn off Windows Firewall unless you have another firewall enabled. Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from worms or hackers.

Note: Once you performed the steps, make sure you ‘Turn on the Firewall’ and re-enable the antivirus to avoid the risk of virus infection.

If the issue persists, post your reply with results and the questions asked as above. We are happy to assist you further with advanced troubleshooting steps!

Hope it helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

stop posting these garbage replies. you didn't read the OP and you dumped the same copypasta. Windows firewall turns itself on with some updates if you don't have it disabled. It's a fact and it's annoying and in the past MS has declared it to be working as intended, regardless of user expectation. It's not a virus...it's MS engineers ignoring what the user wants...AGAIN AND AGAIN.

87 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried the above solution, all actions were grayed out so I was unable to set it to manual. So not impressed with this. it seems this fire wall is also disconcerting me fro the internet. when it it on I have a high rate if disconnects . when I turn it off , I stay connected till the darn thing automatically comes on then boom instant disconnect. Microsoft has done messed up some where.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

stop posting these garbage replies. you didn't read the OP and you dumped the same copypasta. Windows firewall turns itself on with some updates if you don't have it disabled. It's a fact and it's annoying and in the past MS has declared it to be working as intended, regardless of user expectation. It's not a virus...it's MS engineers ignoring what the user wants...AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Amazing, I disable, I stop, I turn it off and in a few hours it starts itself and is running.  Absolute garage answers.

47 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2024 Views 33,927 Applies to: