Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar

I recently upgraded to windows 10 20H2. I had a number of issues after this upgrade including, but not limited to, a black flickering screen, that could only be resolved by a reboot. I used the option to revert to the previous version on windows 10 and am now on windows 10 2004.

I now have major problems with Windows Explorer. Typically these problems take the form of:

>Open windows explorer

>No folders or files are displayed and the only option in the side bar is 'Quick access'. The main screen says 'Working on it...' and a green bar slowly scrolls across the address bar.

>In this state there is no possibility to navigate to any files or folders, and this state can last for upwards of an hour (at which point I give up waiting and reboot).

> Other issues include copy and pasting files from one location to another, but the files don't show up in the new location until the folder is refreshed.

>Freezing/window not responding etc.

>Other programmes e.g. Picasa not finding new files (pictures in this case) in a folder. Normally this import is automated.

I have read various online articles which suggest changing the folder optimization e.g. How to Speed Up a Windows Folder that Loads Very Slowly (howtogeek.com) and running "DSIM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

Changing the folder optimization is not possible while file explorer won't open, and the issue isn't limited to an individual folder.

I have run DSIM.exe and the output was "The restore operation completed successfully".

Before upgrading to windows 20H2 I was on windows 1909 (the downgrade option left me at windows 10 2004) so it seems this problem with file explorer, the black flickering screen, and other issues e.g. not recognising USB C drives is a result of the windows 2004/20H2 update.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Answer
Answer

I turned off the Quick Access index as suggested; but file explorer continues to do the slow green bar. I have recently updated with KB5001330 which failed on the first attempt; but was successful on the 2nd.

What I have seen is that when file explorer is first started up, this index issue continues; BUT if I initiate another file explorer right-click over my pinned file explorer> File Explorer, this second instantiation comes up immediately.

Not sure this will help.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2024 Views 12,403 Applies to: