Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709 is Now Available

From Microsoft:

Beginning today at 10 a.m. P.T., the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will start rolling out to Windows 10 PCs across the world in phases, starting with newer machines first.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/get-windows-10-fall-creators-update/#dAUj4O1ILtoirs41.97

How you can get it:

Upgrade Assistant – this light, 5 MB installer starts the upgrade to Windows 10 right away. It lacks many of the advanced options, such as choosing a partition, creating a bootable copy or selecting a particular edition.

Media Creation Tool – this small app offers a number of options including in place upgrades, building install media on a blank DVD; or USB thumb drive; or downloading the ISO image. Users can also select different editions and architectures or a combination of both.

Refresh Tool – also known as Start Fresh, this is another variant of the Media Creation Tool. The Refresh Tool is suitable for users who want to perform a clean install, while installing the latest version of Windows 10; users can only keep personal files. Applications, OEM bundled drivers and software will also be removed. It’s perfect for users who want to start a clean system either to resolve performance or health issues wth their system.

Windows Update – Windows 10 is part of Microsoft’s strategy to deliver Windows as a service. Since its release in 2015, Microsoft has delivered the bulk of upgrades to new revisisions of Windows 10 through Windows Update.

ISO Media

An ISO file is a virtual replica of a DVD or CD. In order to use an ISO file, you must first intialize it by burning to a blank DVD or copy the install files to an empty USB thumb drive (8 Gbs in size). The ISO file is available through several channels for download. Once downloaded, users can mount the ISO file on devices running Windows 8 or later then start the upgrade. Here is how you can download the ISO file.

Software Download Page – for users running alternative operating systems such as macOS or Linux, the software download page lets you download and create a bootable copy.

Microsoft Academic Download – students who need to download a back copy of Windows 10 Education using their issued product key from their institution of higher learning.

MSDN Subscriber Download – if you are a developer or IT professional with an active subscription, you can log in and download Windows 10 ISO images, which you can then create bootable copies from.

Volume License Service Center – for large organizations that deploy Windows 10 in bulk to hundreds or thousands of computers. Specific editions such as Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise are normally available here. The Creators Update won’t officially be available until May 1 (as of this writing).

Windows Insider page – If you are a member of the Windows 10 Insider Preview Program, you can download ISO media for the latest version from within the Windows Insider Advanced page. 

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 is stuck on preparing to install 33% for 83 minutes!

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

... and you know what that means ...

It means the forum will soon be filled with posts from the clueless and the helpless, with multiple exclamation marks, screaming about how terrible this update is, how it destroyed their computers, how it's time for a class action lawsuit ... etc. etc.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is no longer stuck. It took one hour and forty minutes to prepare to install.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

well right now it failed to install once via au, if it fails a 2nd time as right now still in the process of download i'll use the mct, as again sometime the update isn't ready, for some reason but the mct, i think i've upgraded every time via that and it's worked

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

and i was right had to use the upgrade asstiant, as i just think since is the launch of it today there was bound to be problems but again with this it never stalls and then once i'm done can get rid of it and wait for the next update, and if you do this you don't have to the au, as it will detect the version you have so you don't have to through the headache of the auto update crashing on you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

and unfournately first try didn't work so now i have too start all over again in first downloading it and i have too leave in a little while so i might end up doing it 3 times today

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The install worked on the first try. It took one hour and forty five minutes. When the install was completed, checked and installed two updates:

Only issue I noticed at this time is the feature update damaged the shortcut to the Beats Audio Control panel.

This also happened with the last feature update.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well played, Microsoft.

AFTER I clicked the Restart button to allow the updates to be installed, it shared the good news that "This may take a while. Multiple restarts will be required." 

One hour and at least 3 restarts later, my computer finally resurrected itself.

What a freaking excellent warning to give BEFORE the restart. 

I thought 40 minutes gave me plenty of margin of error before my conference call. Ha ha, guess the joke's on me. 

I've got a super fast, 6-month-old laptop, so I feel sorry for anyone on an older, slower machine.

Oh, and even more delightfully, it randomly changed which of my monitors is the main monitor, and put my icons on one monitor and the taskbar commands on the other.  So I get the joy of losing even more productivity to re-set up my workstation for my workflow.

Plus, as with every previous "customer" upgrade, Windows reset my defaults on power settings, which means after a few seconds (!!) of not jiggling the mouse, my computer goes to sleep. Yay, I get to once again go in to my registry and enable hidden sleep timers.

I just love the customer-centric updates, Microsoft. Keep up the good work.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

...posts from the clueless and the helpless, with multiple exclamation marks, screaming about how terrible this update is...

BulldogXX, it sounds as though you feel that *customers* should not mind having their computer effectively turned into a paperweight for an unknown amount of time?

Or that *customers* should passively accept random error messages or 80 minute freezes with no communication on screen to explain what's happening, all the while we stare in panicked terror at the 'Do not shut down your computer' because the sleep timer is set to only a few minutes of inactivity so we must keep jiggling the mouse to avoid potential, mysterious desctruction?

Or that *customers* shouldn't be concerned with random errors requiring repeated attempts to install updates to the base operating system?

Or that *customers* shouldn't mind that the update resets all the settings to whatever MS decided is a default?  

As Microsoft reminds us in the update announcement, Windows is a service. For which we pay, and pay handsomely.  My complaint isn't with the functionality of the update, it's with the pain caused by the update process. Considering that Microsoft has been pushing updates to computers for over a decade, why do we still have the same pain points? I don't think it's customers who need to get a clue.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 crashes at 33% and stays at 33%, tried 4 times all same results.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 27, 2022 Views 8,790 Applies to: