Windows 10 failed to find bitmap directory

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (Home Premium) today. The upgrade seemed to go smoothly except for one small hiccup: after the upgrade finished, but before the Windows 10 desktop appeared for the first time, I got an error message that said "Failed to find bitmap directory". 

Windows 10 still started up and everything seems to have loaded properly, and it's running smoothly. However, I noticed one thing in the top left hand corner of the file explorer window (aka the Quick Access Toolbar): 

Paint also looks a little bit funny... or maybe this is how it's supposed to look, i'm not sure. 

I'm assuming these are icons that reside in this Bitmap Directory, which my version of Windows 10 can't find for some reason. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it? It's kinda annoying and looks pretty junky. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you! 

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I suggest you to run System File Checker (SFC Scan) as this could be an issue with corrupt system files. System File Checker is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Refer to the following link:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Also applies for Windows 10

Get back to us if you need more information and we'll be happy to assist you. 

Thanks,
Yaqub Khan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2023 Views 1,650 Applies to: