Windows 10 Ethernet bug (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller)

Hello!

Please let your developers know that there is some bug with Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I will repeat the problem's description:

I upgraded to windows 10, and during the first week everything was working fine. This night my PC installed win10 update, and after that, ethernet has stopped working.
Device manager does not display any errors.
It shows that all drivers are up-to-date.
I remind you that the issue appeared after recent update; at first, after upgrade to Win10 everything was working fine.
My computer is HP Pavillion 500-315nj (stationary PC)

So, directly after the upgrade to Win10 everything was fine, it's the recent upgrade (this night) that broke everything apart.
I checked every part of my network (modem, router, cable) and they appear to work very well with Windows 10, so this issue is about Ethernet controller. As I said, mine is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

What I tried:

1.Manually installed the newest driver 10.1.505.2015 (issued at 05.08.2015) - no effect.
2.Disabled IPv6 everywhere I could reach (meaning, I did it via Fixit tool, via regedit, as described on MS site, and also disabled it in adapter itself) - no effect. I did it after reading suggestions from people who got the issue solved this way http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/win-10-dns-resolution-of-remote-network-via-vpn/513bdeea-0d18-462e-9ec3-a41129eec736
3.It is also proposed to turn off SplitTunneling, but I don't know how to disable it, and how to find out its current status (is it even enabled on my PC?).

Of course, turning IPv6 off is not a solution, since Windows counts it to be important for functionality.
So, Windows 10 has a bug with Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.  If moderators here do not wish to help users solve those issues, then at least please tell your dev monkeys that they broke things with their "update" (which I even cannot revert or disable, because Windows 10 counts itself smarter then the user and, obviously, the computer should decide what is appropriate for user and not the other way around).

Addition: troubleshooting tool says that "DNS server does not respond".

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Solution for me:

The problem seems to be BitDefender Internet Security 15 (in my case). The second I turn its Firewall off, Internet starts working. When I turn it back on, DNS server does not respond and - no Internet.

Generally: try to temporarily disable all anti-malware (antivirus, firewall, etc.) that you have, and see if it solves the issue..

168 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It happens to me too.

I have just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 on Aug.12.

I see this symptom repeatedly since then.

When this occurs, following message is recorded in EventLog (WindowsLog -> System)

Source : NDIS

Event ID : 10400

ネットワーク インターフェイス "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" はリセットを開始しました。ハードウェア リセットの間にネットワーク接続が一時的に中断します。
理由: ネットワーク ドライバーはリセットを要求しました。
このネットワーク インターフェイスは、最後に初期化されてから n 回リセットされました。

in Japanese. My rough translation follows,

Network interface "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" has started to reset. Network will be disconnected while  in H/W reset.

Reason : Network driver requested to reset.

This network interface has been reset n times since last initialized.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Solution for me:

The problem seems to be BitDefender Internet Security 15 (in my case). The second I turn its Firewall off, Internet starts working. When I turn it back on, DNS server does not respond and - no Internet.

Generally: try to temporarily disable all anti-malware (antivirus, firewall, etc.) that you have, and see if it solves the issue..

thank you @ghjkthgg.

Same here. Win10 was working fine till Aug 12, about 3AM. After that I could reach (ping) up to the first router only but not beyond. DHCP & gateway etc. were showing fine. The second I switched off Bitdefender-FW all worked fine again

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just for info -

I upgraded from Windows 7 Premium to 10 a couple of days ago and as soon as 10 booted up my Internet stopped working.

No driver errors are shown - just an annoying message telling me that my Ethernet cable is no longer plugged in.

Had to roll back to Windows 7 to cure the problem.

I have the same Realtek Bus controller shown above and this issue has been reported elsewhere so I guess Windows 10 has a bug that needs sorting before I can try the upgrade again!

Am using McAfee security which I did NOT disable for diagnosis.

Regards 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For me the problem is that windows disables the peripherical. I have to manually enable it and then it works.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have the same problem.

In the system management tools there is a little yellow triangle on the icon of "Controller i Realtek PCIe GBE-series".

When I acces properties I can read the following in hardwarestatus:

"This hardware is not functioning right, because windows couldn't read the drivers for the unit. (Code 31)."

"There wasn't found an object-ID in the file."

I hope this will help a solution along, fast. I have to go back to win 7 again now. For the second time. I think I am going to wait till November before I try to install Windows 10 again.

Regards Carsten Esbensen, Denmark.

Asus Laptop, Intel Core I7-2670QM 2,20 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD 5800RPM.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

last update lost the internet yellow triangle in the Ethernet window, device manager no errors working, trouble shooter error no IP, with the newest driver 10.1.505.2015, called Microsoft, on hold for 12 hrs no luck, tier 2 called next day no luck. reverted back to 9.1.401.2015 and internet works again.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I am not actually in any of the boats any of the others are describing. The only "viras tool" I have is Windows Defender and turning that off briefly did not do anything. 

I have tried disabling the adapter - Nothing

I have tried manual IP and DNS - Nothing

Have installed the new Realtek Driver for Win10 - Nothing

Restarted PC - Nothing

Uninstalled the driver completely - Nothing

IPConfig /Release and /Renew

It all comes back to "Unidentified network". Digging further into this I found this exact same issue occurred on Windows 8.1 for some users upgrading from Windows 8. Every post was the same. The driver and hardware are fine as the device is sending packets but it is not able to receive packets packet.

So, if any Microsoft person has any thoughts here, please chime in.

EDit:

Found another link to a couple of other articles talking about deleting the DNI-DNE entry in your netcfg via command line. Obviously this is not the answer as lots of people are still saying this is not working, not found or it does not pertain to them (DNI_DNE entries are made for VPN clients, if you do not have a VPN client, you do not have the entry).

So it seems that something else is going on here. And it needs a fix... soon.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm in the same position as you, I bought a brand new Lenovo Windows 8.1 desktop that worked fine when it installed all the 8.1 updates - including the Ethernet adapter. I allowed it to upgrade to Windows 10 and everything else is fine apart from the Ethernet adapter telling me that the cable is unplugged. I've checked and swapped the cable, but it made no difference.

I spoke to the retailer's helpdesk and after we went through the deleting the drivers, reinstalling the drivers, downloading the latest driver from Lenovo (which resulted in a Code 10 fault) and reverting to the previous driver, they told me I have to wait for Realtek to update their driver.

I found a new updated driver on the Realtek site - but that didn't help, so I emailed the Lenovo helpdesk for help. They told me I had to do a reset, so I did, but the only advantage there was that it got rid of all the Lenovo preinstalled stuff, the Ethernet adapter stubbornly refuses to believe that I have a cable plugged into it.

I guess I'm going to have to just sit and wait patiently, just like everyone did during the debacle of the Windows 8 upgrade to 8.1

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The wait is over!  The update came through today and everything is now working for me.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 130,527 Applies to: