Windows 10 'Enter Your Credentials' Dialog - No Suggestions By Default

In an effort to continually make things 'easier', Windows interfaces make assumptions.  Whenever I get a 'Enter Your Credentials' dialog in Windows 10, whether elevating to admin privileges, accessing a network resource through windows file explorer, or via the RDP client (mstsc), the default behavior is to present my azureAD account name (as this is the OS interactive environment log in when the security challenge is raised) as the username.

The current username is almost never what I want to use; typically, if I am trying to gain access to a resource that requires the security challenge, it means my integrated authentication is insufficient, so to assume I want that by default misses the mark. 

So instead of allowing me to straight-away change the username, I have to select 'More Choices', then I have to scroll down and find 'Use a Different Account' , and then I finally get something that behaves like the legacy interface of two blank fields, one for username and one for password.  The username urges me to use an email address, which for most of the systems I need access to, I'm more likely entering hostname-or-ipaddress\username, domain\username, or .\username.

Question: How can the default behavior be changed to prompt for the blank username and password field first, eliminating the need to have to select 'More Choices' and 'Use a Different Account' each time I (or a user) access a new resource?

Thank you. 

Hi,

There are a lot of possible reasons why this issue occurs. To understand what's causing this, we would like to have the exact screenshot of the error message you're getting. Also, have you made any modifications/configurations on your computer prior to the issue?

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks.  I wouldn't really call it an issue, as it appears to be by design.

1. Log in to Windows 10 interactively as a office 365 account via AzureAD integration, or just as a local user

2. Scenario A - Use Remote Desktop Connection to access a resource not integrated to AzureAD.  The username field is blank in mstsc. The Windows Security dialog asks for credentials, but present the logged in username by default, and the user has to click More Choices, Other User etc.

3. Scenario B - Use Windows Explorer to access the same resource's file system. The security dialog by default presents the logged in user (in this depiction, and azuread user)    

The question is, how to set up Windows(?) that instead of trying to assume or remember which username is used by default, to present a blank username and password dialog straight away, which I would consider to be legacy (Windows 7 and before) behavior.  thanks. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Would love to get an answer to this as well.  No follow up on the follow up question from May?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No answer.  Furthermore, I've noticed lately that the dialog does seem to open initially with a blank username and password field, but shortly after I start typing the username, it reverts back to the interactive user, nullifying everything I typed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Getting back on your concern, is your PC an office PC or a personal PC? Is it under a domain?

If yes, it seems that you can find the most suitable answer from your company IT.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am the company IT. 

The computers are Windows 10 Professional, users log in to their computers using their Office365 accounts (azureAD\), but the machines do not belong to a traditional domain, just workgroup.  We have no on-premise infrastructure, it is all Office365.

I'm not sure if it is possible to join the computers to azureAD domain without an on-premise DC, but I'd certainly prefer to have them joined to a domain if that were possible (though some of the benefits of traditional domain exist in this new model, I don't think I can do things like domain policy for computer management.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh! I see.

Since you're the company IT, the best venue for your concern is our TechNet Forums. Surely, they can give you the advanced technical stuff you need to know to resolve the issue you're in.

You may post your query on this TechNet Forum link.

We're just a post away should you have queries in the future.

Best.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 3,192 Applies to: