Windows 10 Downgrade to Windows 7 Error

Hi

I have just installed Windows 10 on my HP laptop. Windows 10 is not working on my computer that well and I want to downgrade to Windows 7 and wait a while before upgrading it to Windows 10. I went into PC settings and clicked Update and Security, Recovery and then go back to Windows 7. When I did this I got this error message (See bottom):

I have checked the Windows.old folder and it still has the files for Windows 7 in it.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help.

Al least you still have a version of Windows... I went to downgrade from 10 to 7 and now am faced with a computer that is endlessly trying to repair the startup... and won't start. I'm not sure what to do with this one. Good luck on your downgrade. I hope you have more success than I am.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. I managed to fix it by using the media creation tool to reinstall Windows. It works much better now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the next step I intend to try. Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I may have a chance now... thanks to Microsoft's new activation rules  Stay tuned

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Success!!! Thanks to Ed Bott for his tip about the new activation rules (above). I am good to go now :-D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So what steps did you take? 

I have the same delimma. My files are intact but get the same error you did. 

Don't want to reinstall all my software if I can help it.  Just want to go back to Windows 7. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi William,

In my case, since I had previously activated Windows 10 through the upgrade before trying to downgrade, I was able to use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to create a USB flash drive that would install a clean version of Windows 10 on my system. Since it had been activated previously, when my system connected to the internet, it looked into the cloud and found that the system ID and same version of Windows 10 was installed... so, it automatically activated my system again after doing the clean install. 

Using this method, I did lose all my installed apps and settings; however, I had all my documents, pictures, music, etc. saved on another drive so those weren't lost. 

I believe you should be able to install Windows 7 using the installation media if you have it (assuming you have the Product Key on your PC for Windows 7).

Best of luck,

Doug

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Been trying to avoid the full wipe out method, but it's looking more and more like I may have no choice.

Microsoft just isn't providing any form of help through Twitter or on here concerning it.  I am by no means the only one going through this, but it sure seems like it.

The Create Recovery Drive option fails, so that's no help.  A reboot into a diagnostic mode isn't working either.

Really about to just say forget it and do the full wipe out.  What stinks is reinstalling everything that would need to be put back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

David,

I totally understand the headache you're facing. If there is a silver lining to doing a clean wipe and fresh install, it is that the system is truly clean and snappy... no baggage in the registry from old uninstalled programs & settings, no corrupt drivers, or any other issues that seem to plague an old installation of Windows. I didn't like installing all my programs again; however, it's probably best that I did as the whole system seems faster and cleaner now. I guess you could look at it as a spring cleaning of sorts.

The Create Recovery Drive isn't what I was referring to if you wanted to get Windows 10 installed clean. You can use the Media Creation Tool for free to create a USB like I did. It works great... much faster it seems than installing from DVD. Simply download the tool and create the USB media. The instructions are on the page linked above. Only do this if you want Windows 10 and have previously activated Windows 10 on the machine you're wanting to (re)install it on; otherwise, you'll have to purchase a Product Key to get it activated. Nice (and new) thing about Windows 10 is once it's activated on a machine, it no longer needs the Product Key to be entered if you ever do another wipe/install. The device ID and Product Key information is stored in the cloud with Microsoft when a Windows 10 gets activated. Future installs on that machine (with the same version of Windows 10) will automatically activate once connected to the internet... no more entering the Product Key :-)

Best,

Doug

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 2 USB drives that are bootable. One for 32 bit Windows 7 (all versions)

and 1 for 64 bit Windows 7 (All versions).

I ran across an article on Microsoft's Blogs a year ago concerning the DVD media containing all versions of Windows 7.  Which it did.  Deleting 1 file caused the Setup to now ask which version you wished to install.  Owning a valid Product Key is all is necessary to reinstall Windows 7.

I am a victim of a botched Windows 10 upgrade.  Spent 1/2 hour with Microsoft Help Chat.  There are no files for it to find within Windows.Old of my old setup. All the files under my registered name are just empty folders.

So I get to spend most of this weekend rebuilding my computer. Yippee.

At least I won't have the naked invasion of privacy that's built into Windows 10.

Much you can turn off, for sure.  But the NSA didn't pry as much as Microsoft intends to do with Windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2020 Views 1,489 Applies to: