Windows 10 doesn't change start menu color automatically - is it a bug?

Hello,

I have a problem with Windows 10:

System language is Polish, but I checked all 3 options that are responsible for changing Start menu color automatically and as you can see, majority of background is green. Here's my question - why Windows 10 doesn't change menu color automatically? I know it worked at first, then I changed something and it stopped working. Since then I reinstalled W10 2 times and it still doesn't work. I'd like to see some help, because for me, it looks like a bug.

Hello Artur,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are facing issues with Start Menu not changing color despite the settings in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Now, please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps: 

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines: 

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Method 2:

If issue persist, kindly follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

Run these commands:

• Press Windows key and type Powershell in search, right click on it and Open as administrator .

• Type the following command in Powershell and hit enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

first of all, thank you for your quick answer.

I created new user and Start menu does change its color automatically (on that profile). I also ran Method 1., but it didn't work (although sfc showed information about corrupted files). Then I tried to run Method 2., but there's an error: error 0x80004004: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy!App.

So I killed explorer.exe and run that command again - well, it didn't help either.

Should I create new account (and delete current)?

Edit:

Yeah, a help would be nice, Microsoft -.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Artur,

Sorry for delay in response.

This issue could be with account that you have logged in.

I suggest you to remove the account or make it as a local account and try to make the other account as a primary by giving the administrator privileges.

Check to see if it works by converting the Microsoft Account to Local and then back to Microsoft Account. Here`s how:

1. Go to Settings from the Start Menu.
  2. Click Accounts. Under Your Account, click Sign in with a Local Account instead.
  3. Follow the instructions. Sign Out and Sign in. 
  4.  Then convert back to Microsoft Account.

To connect back to the Microsoft Account, you will perform similar steps:

1. Go to Settings from the Start Menu.
  2. Click Accounts. Under Your Account, click Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead.
  3. Follow the instructions. Sign Out and Sign in. 
  4. Your account should now be connected again.

To give Administrator privileges you can follow the below steps.

1) Open settings and select Account.

2) Under sign in options, in the right pane click on account and select manage.

3) You will have two options, select Administrator.

Now you can use your secondary account as administrator and other account as a local account.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 2, 2022 Views 1,872 Applies to: