Windows 10 DNS server problems

After my computer restarted last night (for an update I assume) it has been unable to connect to the internet. Network diagnostics says Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS server).

I have tried resetting my computer and router, updating drivers, and using network connections and the command prompt to set a static DNS. Command  Prompt says the server doesn't exist or isn't formatted properly no matter what I enter. I've only gotten momentary connection by disabling and enabling an adaptor or through flushdns etc.
That was my third try getting the message through from my phone, so I might've skipped asking the obvious wisdom at the end. I've now tried shutting down my computer and turning it back on. Still no luck, so any advice would be really appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist you.

This issue is better suited in TechNet forum, we have a dedicated team to help you with this type of issues. I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=WinPreview2015General

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Whenever I attempt to go to any website on Google Chrome on Windows 10 (just upgraded from windows 8.1, using Microsoft Surface Pro3) I get the error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET. I tried uninstalling, and reinstalling chrome, and other web browsers or application required internet,  Interestingly, Microsoft Edge works on it but chrome, no. Any ideas what is wrong?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's the same error I'm getting, yes. Edge isn't working for me though.

Also  here's a link to the other thread I created: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1b4f51ef-910c-4894-ac45-6e256bb3f1d3/windows-10-dns-problem?forum=win10itpronetworking

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm getting about a 25% success rate on Edge and Chrome - same problem - same message

I tried setting different DNS in my network adapter and it seems to help - sometimes. The connection seems to still be kind of slow - but I don't get the error anymore (at lest not yet).

Googles public DNS Servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

You have to change the DNS Serer Address in the IPv4 network properties for your adapter.

UPDATE - still had problems enough that I fell back to Windows 8.1 - then I find that the process has screwed something up with it, when I am on the Windows Interface, it locks up.

Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My device or resource (DNS Server) is not working on windows 10 on my Surface Pro Tablet. How doe I fix it? I found it was not working when I was checking Windows Defender, which does not appear to be responding to anything since my upgrade to Windows 10. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2020 Views 3,855 Applies to: