WINDOWS 10 Digital Licence

Can I transfer my digital licence from old pc to a new one. I don't have serial key, I don't have any key at all... I have upgraded from win 7 and win 8 to win 10 for free but I don't have any key. last time I format and install windows 10. I'll just have to sign into Microsoft ID to activate it. Can I do it with my new PC. 
Answer
Answer

That depends on what type of license you have of Windows 7/8/10.

If Windows 7 came preinstalled on the computer, that is called an OEM license. For an OEM license, the license dies as soon as Motherboard dies. So essentially it is non-transferable. If that is the case you need to get a new license.

However, this is not same for retail licenses i.e. you purchased the license through Microsoft store. That does carry transfer rights. If that is the case, please see the below steps:

What you need to do is to grab the key using any Software like Showkey Plus, uninstall that key from older PC and use it on another computer.

Download Showkey Plus:

https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkeyplus.html

Uninstall the key

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-deactivate-windows-10-and-change-the-product-key/

Use the key by Showkey Plus on the newer computer.

Alternatively, there are two more options available other than this:

• Contact Microsoft at http://www.support.microsoft.com/contactus through chat support. They would take control of your PC and activate(might need a proof of purchase)
  • Use the Activation troubleshooter on the new PC signed in with same MS account.
    Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter.
    Select I recently changed hardware on this device.
Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license: 

Here is how you can transfer it if Windows 10 originated from a retail Windows 7 or Windows 8 license:

Step 1: Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Troubleshoot

Step 2: Wait while the troubleshooter is complete, then click the link 'I changed hardware on this device recently'

Step 3: Proceed to sign in with your Microsoft Account then choose your device in the list. If that does not work, here is a trick you can try. Rename your machine to one of those listed in the window - not what I'm showing you here, but what you see on your screen.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2021 Views 599 Applies to: