Windows 10 device manager do NOT have DVD/cd-rom on list, I cannot double click what is not there

upgraded my laptop and want to load word but windows 10 doesn't find it or list when I try to add a device.  device manger does not have it in the list of device.  Everyone says double click DVD/cd-rom but there no listed hardware.  the dvd/cd-rom came in the laptop so I dont have a hardware install disk and even if I did the cd is what it not working so I couldn't install it anyway.  Tried adding device but there is no DVD or cd-rom on the list of hardware devices
Hello MarcMunoz,

I am Vincent. An Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I’d be happy to assist you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Please check out this article to further understand the cause of this issue and how to fix it.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-dvd-cd-dri...

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Vincent Vismanos
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I read that post but again DVD/cd-rom is NOT on the list so I cannot double click it.  Download drivers but windows 10 still doesn't see the device.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello MarcMunoz,

Thank you for updating me with that information. Did you try to check in your BIOS to see if the optical drive is listed? Also, did you already try the other methods provided in the link?

Sincerely,

Vincent Vismanos
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Yes I changed the bio although it says CPROM not CDROM not sure if that is significant but there are only 2 options one was already enabled and I enabled the other one.  No change.  Here is a link to a forum and like the person with that issue I have done all of those things without success.  I took the model number of the player down while I had it out.  It's a Panasonic UJ8E2 Serial number 4DGHA559000  SBAL1-W.  Looked for a driver from panasonic but the model number on the dcrom is not on their list.  I've download and installed the ASUS drivers for the laptop from the ASUS website.  None of them say DVD or CDROM so I don't know which one on the list would include the right driver but again everything failed.  It was working before the upgrade to windows 10 and it has power and I can hear the CD spinning inside when I first place it in there but again win 10 does not see it and there is nothing in the list in device manager for DVD or CDROM.  Everyone keeps telling me to go there and uninstall it but it is not there to be found so I can not uninstall it.  I may as well look for kitchen sink on the list.  It not there to uninstall.  Look at the forum and you'll see a list of everything I've tried with the exact same results.   In fact I've tried more things then that guy did and nothing works.  I plugged in an external DVD player using a USB port and win 10 found it right away.  So I was able to load MS Office but I'd like to have my DVD/CDROM working.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/dvd-cd-drive-no-longer-existant-after-windows-10-upgrade-help-please.9981/

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MarcMunoz,

I understand the frustration of Windows 10 behaving like this especially after you have spent time trying to resolve this issue already. It seems that the issue is complex than I expected. I have also provided you steps that have worked for other users but it seems it didn't work on your end.

I cannot think of other possible ways to fix your problem. Let's check with the other advisors on the forum to see if they are aware of this issue and offer any suggestions.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Vincent Vismanos
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Can you provide the following information which may help determine any issue(s):

Windows Key + R > type msinfo32 in the "Open" box  > OK > File > Save > then save as an .nfo file

Then make the resulting .nfo file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

Also, can you do the following:

Windows Key + R > type eventvwr in the "Open" box > OK > expand "Custom Views" and then right-click "Administrative Events" > select "Save all events in Custom View As" and save as an .evtx file

Then make the resulting .evtx file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

Here's a link on using OneDrive:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/onedrive/share-file-folder

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I’m Virginia an independent advisor with 20 years of expertise in fixing my own & friends’ PC problems.
Which Windows version are you running - 1903, 1909 Or 2004?

Try the suggestions here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060...

If this doesn’t work try this fix by Kapil Arya:

Try these steps:

1. Open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.

2. Type the following command and hit Enter key:

reg.exe add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0” /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Exit the Command Prompt and reboot. Insert a disk to test and the optical or DVD drive should be visible now.
Virginia - Time Lady.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 6,086 Applies to: