Windows 10 Desktop Icons not visible

Not sure if done by mistake, but icons and shortcuts to Mcafee, Recycle Bin, etc, don't appear on my desktop.

How do I change this?

Answer
Answer

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community and for your interest in Windows 10.

I can understand, how frustrating it can be, when things don’t work as expected. 

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I'd be glad to help you.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check, if the issue still persists.

Method 1:

Please refer to the article created by Anil Madishetty, replied on September 8, to fix your issue with Desktop icons.

Desktop icons not showing Windows 10?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/desktop-icons-not-showing-windows-10/5406b7d3-3a59-4293-9450-5bb04d32b988

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

SFC Scan:  

I would suggest you to perform a SFC Scan and check, if it helps.

System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption .The sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

Please click on the below link and follow the procedure to run SFC Scan.

Click on,
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93  

Note: Do not close the Command Prompt Window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 3:

You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

1.Go to Settings.
2. Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
3. Select Add an Account.
4. Enter a user name and hit Next.
5. Click on Finish.
6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
7. Check, if issue still persists.

Hope this information helps you. Kindly post back with the updated issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2023 Views 2,806 Applies to: