[Windows 10] Desktop Icons move unpredictably when manually arranging them.

On the desktop in win10 I like to keep my icons in a certain order, however every time I move my icons next to each other they act unpredictably.

Video link

to demonstrate issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp3T6VIuheM

Hi,

One of the possible reasons why this happens on your desktop is because of an option that needs to be changed before we can arrange our desktop icons manually.

Kindly follow the steps below for us to check:

1. Right-click on your desktop.
  2. Click on View.
  3. Uncheck Auto arrange icons and Align icons to grid (If needed).
  4. Try rearranging your icons.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This doesn't work. It was also one of the first things I tried doing, and unchecking Align icons to grid not only goes against keeping the desktop organised, it doesn't help. Thanks for the reply though.

things I've tried: Auto arrange icons (off) and refreshing the desktop (f5)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[Update] 

What seems to temporarily fix the problem is unchecking align icons to grid and auto arrange icons then re-checking these settings. However, upon restarting/rebooting the issue persists. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This seems to be a common problem. Which is one reason I stopped keeping icons on my desktop altogether. (Except for the Recycle Bin, that is). Besides, it gives a nice clean view of my current wallpaper.

The BEST place to keep icons arranged to one's satisfaction is on the "Start Menu" although I keep fewer and fewer THERE as time goes on. The main reason for THAT being that Cortana can open all this stuff for me just by my saying "Hey, Cortana, open,,,,"

However! We're not talking about ME we're talking about YOU and you like to keep your icons in a certain order. It won't work on the desktop, I'm sorry. But it WILL work in your "Start Menu."

So, let us begin: Click the "Start Icon" (Windows Logo) on the left of your taskbar.  That's your Start Menu. 

Mine looks like this: 

Now, those icons can be resized (just by right-clicking them) Unpinned from this menu, and rearranged any way you like just by point, click, hold, and drag. And, if you begin with your "All Apps" menu (click start, and select the third icon from the top to the left of your screen and you'll see them:  

Well, one has to keep them SOMEWHERE. You can right click ANY of those, and select "pin to start" then go to your start menu and arrange as before,

How's that?

FYI you might want to set your "Start Menu" to "Full Screen"  (and set all the other options to best suit your taste as well:

Hope this helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2024 Views 1,442 Applies to: