Windows 10 Data Back up

I'm using Windows 10 data backup. It works but it creates a new copy of my documents at every back up interval. so eventually it fills up my back up drive. How do I get it to over write the original version at each backup interval?

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2018 Views 100 Applies to:
Are you using the File History feature, or the "Windows Backup" feature?
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It says Back up using File History. Isn't that same as data back up?

Sorry this didn't help.

"data backup" is a generic term, and you can make a data backup using a variety of tools.  File History and Windows Backup for example, are two very different separate tools that work in very different ways, so I needed to know which one you were using.  Now I know: you're using File History.

Please note that even though when you use the "restore personal files" option, it may show the file as having been available/backed up on every given day... that's just for presentation.  In reality, a new copy of the file is only stored if the file had changed since the previous backup in some way.  This way you can go back in time to the old version of the file.

Just note that you should always use the "Restore Personal Files" option on the left side to reach your backups.  Never try to directly open the backup folder on the drive yourself, as it won't be able to organize and display the files in the timeline properly.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm using File History to back up to an external hard drive. The issue I'm having is that I'm getting multiple copies of the files being backed up even though they are not modified. In one area there are 195 with the same name and a different date in the name. The file date is the same for all of these files. This, over time fills up my 1TB external drive.

Sorry this didn't help.