Windows 10 - (D:) Drive (HDD) 100% Usage [Please Help]

Hello, today was a stressful day for me because of this issue. i have a desktop pc (specs bellow)
And i was just gaming when my pc crashed, i couldnt turn it on because i had the infinite loading screen.

i fixed that issue after 1 hour of searching the internet but that's not what this is about...

Basically my D Drive goes to 100% Usage whenever i open a program that is located in the (D:) Drive.

I tried turning off many of windows 10 features (most common 100% usage fixes), but it did not fix mine.
is there anyone that has also experienced this ? if yes did you fix it? if so please tell me !

Image Here are the specs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Bernard. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Windows fan like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

I actually experience the same issue as before and by following the steps provided below fixed my issue and I hope this works for you as well.

Method 1. Do clean boot:
A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

- In the search box on the taskbar, type msconfig and select System Configuration from the results.

- On the Services tab of System Configuration, select Hide all Microsoft services, and then select Disable all.

- On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select Open Task Manager.

- Under Startup in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then select Disable.

- Close Task Manager.

- On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select OK. When you restart the computer, it's in a clean boot environment.

troubleshooting reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

Method 2. Run memory diagnostic tool: Memory diagnostic tool is a RAM test to check if there is any issues with RAM.

- Press Windows key + R then type in mdsched.exe hit OK then restart the device.

Method 3. Set the PC to best performance:

Press windows key + Pause/Break (or go to file explorer and right click This PC and click properties)

click on Advanced system settings> Under Performance click settings> Click Adjust for best performance and click OK

Note: this will reduce all appearance settings you have but will optimize the performance of the PC.

Let me know how does it goes and I hope that helps.

Bernard
Independent Advisor

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I already tried disabling Windows Search / SysMain. and putting Virtual Memory to its default state. it's just my D Drive (HDD) 2TB that has this issue,

my C Drive SSD 495GB is totally fine... It's just whenever i open a program/game that is installed/located in the D Drive my D Drive usage goes instantly to 100%

And i always clean boot because i want to let my pc start up as fast as possible.

there is also nothing wrong with my RAM and that's for sure !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I see thanks, If none will work from the above solution I suggest to do an in-place upgrade wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

Note: before doing this make sure to create a restore point: https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/402753...

1. go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

2. Select Download tool, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.

3. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.

4. On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.

5. After downloading and installing, it should fix the issue.

Reference: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
Note: if you receive error: “This Pc can’t be upgrade, follow the steps below”
Method 1. Go to C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther then delete the file name compatscancache.dat
Then try again or reboot the PC first then try again.
You might not see the folder as it is hidden, make sure to show hidden files first.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think i fixed the issue, everytime when i opened my Call of Duty game the D Drive HDD went to 100% Usage, So i moved it to my C Drive SSD and its working again. all the other programs work fine on the D Drive now since i moved it. 

basically this game crashed on me as i said and it gave me the infinite windows loading screen..

which is weird.. but okay i guess i can move it back again and look if it fixed itself.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, that's perfect

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2024 Views 5,344 Applies to: