Windows 10 Creator update failed but messed up my computer

A few days ago I allowed the Creator update to my Windows 10 desktop computer. The update failed, stalling at this screen:

The computer did not restart on its own after an hour or so of this screen, so I rebooted it. The reboot said it was returning to a previous restore point. It appears to have done so.

Here's the problem the failed Creator update left behind: This desktop has a SSD and before the failed update attempt would boot in about 20 seconds. Now it takes a little over 6 minutes to boot. I see about 6 minutes of the splash screen that has the 4-pane window in the upper center and the dots going around in a circle in the lower center of the screen.

What can I do to get back to my 20 second boot?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Answer
Answer

Hello Steve,

Blue screen errors are usually caused by several factors. One is recent hardware change, another factor is the compatibility between software and hardware components.

Let's troubleshoot the issue by performing the steps below:

Method 1: Run the System File Checker tool

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files

1. Press Windows key + X, then select Command Prompt (Admin).

2. Enter sfc/scannow(note the space between "sfc" and "/").

If the issue persists, proceed on method 2.

Method 2: Check the settings for Fast Startup

1. Click on Start, search for Power Options and click on it.

2. On the left pane, click on Choose what the power buttons do.

3. Under Shutdown settings, check if the Fast Startup is turn on. If in case it's already on, try to turn it off and see if there is any improvement on your device's boot-up time.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi Steve,

Let's get your Creators Update get installed again as it might resolve the issue you're currently experiencing.

Have you tried running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and tried to install the Windows 10 Creators Update again? If not yet, you can click "Download troubleshooter for Windows 10" from this link to download and run the update troubleshooter, then try installing the Creators Update again.

If you don't wish to give it another try in reinstalling the Creators Update, we would like to know if you have the administrator rights on your PC? If yes, we would like to request if you can create another administrator account and see if the Fast Startup checkbox is still greyed out.

Let us know what happens next.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 3, 2022 Views 879 Applies to: