Windows 10 crashing when updating to 22H2

Hello,

I have a problem trying to install 22H2 update to my Windows 10 Pro system - Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.900).

Short version:

When I try installing the update, at some point system crashes. As if someone just pressed hard reset button on the device. Screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then everything starts again as if nothing happened.

Long version:

I recently reviewed my system and discovered that I was not receiving any Windows updates for quite some time now. The system was running smoothly otherwise, so I wasn't looking into it, thinking that everything is good and updates are happening in the background or something.

Appraently it wasn't happening at all, and Update service was returning error code 0x80080005.

Following answer to this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-error-code-0x80080005/07b6e544-a501-4492-851d-83fcb80e8f2f, I noticed that command "net start wuauserv" was returning "unable to start wuauserv service". I followed method 2. suggested in this article:

https://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-10-update-service-is-missing/, namely editing system registry, and it worked. Computer discovered about 10 updates waiting for me and I happily let them install. On top of the list was "Feature update to Windows 10, version 22H2", which started downloading, installing... and then it crashed (see short version, there are many crashes in this story and they all happened the same way). I tried it again and system started updating from the bottom of the list, successfully applying almost all updates, except for 22H2 and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - v5.117 (KB890830). Then it skipped MSRT, went to 22H2 and crashed again. And a few times more after that, always at 94% completion. I obviously googled it and found this thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-getting-stuck-at-94-twice/9bc3ece6-9224-425e-8e6f-4c68e0618633?page=1 and followed LazerBomb's suggestions.

sfc /scannow comes back clean, nothing to report. I also run chkdsk /r, but it didn't help any.

I donwloaded https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445 and ran it, it goes nicely, until, in phase 3, it crashes, usually around 67% completion.

I tried following the post further, downloading Media Creation Tool 22H2 (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209), but this crashes the computer as soon as it is run.

On possibly related note, Windows Update Troubleshooter keeps on finding some issues with it, reporting as follows:

Issues found

Check for Windows Update issues Detected

Resolve Windows Update issues Completed

Potential issues that were checked

Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present

Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present

Service registration is missing or corrupt Issue not present

Issues found

< Check for Windows Update issues Detected

Detects issues related to Windows Update.

Resolve Windows Update issues Completed

Resolves common Windows Update issues.

WaaSMedicService

Issues remediated by:AppCleanerPlugin;EnableUUPScanPlugin

Potential issues that were checked

Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present

Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present

Service registration is missing or corrupt Issue not present

Detection details

IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates

IsPostback: False

WaaSMedicService

Issue found by:AppCleanerPlugin;EnableUUPScanPlugin

IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates

IsPostback: True

Service Status

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is

available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

Service Status

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is

available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

So here I am, after a lot of crashing, looking for some support, hoping that a clean installation of the whole system would not be necessary. If any additional information is required, please do let me know what (and preferably how to get it too).

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me look into this and a great day to everyone!

Hi, I am Dave, I will help you with this.

Your post is a bit hard to follow, have you tried using the Windows 10 ISO to upgrade to version 22H2?

Please check to see if your PC is producing any minidump files, I will check those to see if they provide any insight into a potential cause of the system crashes.

Open Windows File Explorer.

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy any minidump files onto your Desktop, then zip those up.

Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox... etc.), then choose to share those and get a share link.

Then post the link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

1. Sorry for the mess in my post. I do not have a fully updated ISO file and the tool for creating one, found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10, crashes my computer as soon as it is run. I do have and old ISO, used when I first set up the system back in 2019, so I doubt it will be of much use.

2. As for minidumps, the folder contains 4 files. The newest one is from January 2023, so I don't know if it is going to be any help, but you are welcome to review them: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtChE5KCklxOhmyzvk9ubcS8DE3s?e=MDTj0k

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for that information , your best option is to create a new ISO on another working PC, then use that to perform an in-place repair, that will update your system and also solve all the problems you have been having.

Click this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), then choose ISO, not USB

When the ISO file completes downloading

Disconnect from the Internet

Disconnect all external devices with the exception of a mouse or keyboard.

Temporarily disable any 3rd party Anti-virus you may have installed

Then, in Windows File Explorer, double click the ISO and then run Setup.exe and select the upgrade option.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Dave,

Thank you very much for that. It will take me some days to get my hands on another computer to do that, but I will get back to you here with info on how it went.

I appreciate your time and have a great day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to help!

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

It took me longer than expected, but I finally managed to resolve the issue.

I downloaded the ISO just like you suggested. Unfortunately, the moment I double-clicked Setup.exe, PC crashed again - every time.

I copied the contents of the ISO onto a flash drive and booted the PC from there. Upgrade option was unavailable, since I wasn't in the system and attempts at repairs crashed computer every time. Ultimately, I used the flash drive to perform a clean installation of the system. After that, all updates got installed correctly with no problems and the system seems stable again.

Before I managed to get a flash drive large enough for the image, the system became much less stable, randomly crashing - I don't think there ever was a a session longer than three hours between crashes, but sometimes it could also happen in minutes, regardless of what was happening with the computer. At some point, however, something else changed, and I started getting BSOD rather than hard reset. And BSOD means I was finally getting some minidumps, which I can provide if you or anyone cares to look into the situation. If not, that's cool, new system resolved the problem anyway.

So thank you very much for your support, Dave, it is greatly appreciated. And have a great day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2024 Views 1,059 Applies to: