Windows 10 Can't Project to Monitors

My laptop is unable to project to external monitors and screens. 

No error is shown - the laptop thinks that it is projecting, but the monitor receives no usable input. If I select "extend" projection, I can move my cursor off the side, onto the other page, and if I select "Second screen only", my laptop screen goes black.  I am using a standard HDMI cord - I have tried with multiple HDMI cords (and multiple TVs / monitors), and I don't believe the port is the issue.  I have successfully projected before, about a year ago,and had not tried again until a couple days ago, when I encountered issues.

I have tried:

- Restarting the computer and monitor.

- Changing order of computer and monitor start-up and HDMI connection. (computer on->monitor on->plug in, and every other combination possible)

- Searching for updates (by right-clicking in device manager) for monitor drivers, my display adaptor (Intel UHD 630) and graphics driver (NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti), and all audio-related drivers I could find.

- Rolling back my display adaptor to previous driver versions.

- Uninstalling the display adaptor and graphics driver in device manager and restarting the computer to allow them to reinstall upon startup.

- Reinstalling the display adaptor downloaded from Intel's website.

- Checking the resolution of the display was correct in Settings.

I believe all relevant device manager items are shown below.  

The only strange thing I noticed in Settings: Advanced display settings shows the refresh rate at 59 Hz for the external monitor I am trying to use, while the Display Adaptor Properties window, as well as packaging for this monitor, shows the refresh rate at 60 Hz (30 Hz is an option listed, but cannot be selected).

I found one other person with similar issues on this Dell forum: https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/P2419HC-displaying-No-HDMI-signal-from-your-device/td-p/7640157.  I also have a Dell laptop - I may ask that forum next, but it seems like a Windows issue by my guess.

Hi David, my name is Neil, I'm an independent adviser and a Windows 10 user like you.

Sorry you're having issues with your second display,

I noticed from your question that you have an NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti...the same card as me.

I have a desktop PC, but I use a second monitor sometimes and i use the Nvidia Control Panel to set up my multiple displays. It's so much easier.

I am assuming you have the relevant software installed if you have an Nvidia card. So try this:

Make sure your second monitor is plugged in, turned on and connected via HDMI. Also, if you can, make sure it is on the correct HDMI channel to receive the picture from your laptop.

Right click your desktop away from any icons and then left click on NVIDIA Control Panel in the menu that pops up.

In NVIDA Control Panel, on the left hand side, expand the Display section if it isn't already, and then click on "Set up multiple displays".

In the main area to the right, select your monitors you want to use and how you want them set up. It's pretty straight forward.

Let me know how you get on or if you need more help.
Neil :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In what way did this not work David? What happened when you tried it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neil,

Sorry, I began responding earlier but got interrupted.   Thank you for the help! Unfortunately it didn't resolve my issues. I can't actually access display settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel - I only have 3D settings and Developer settings. I believe this is because the Intel UHD 630 functions as my main display adaptor, and the NVIDIA card only controls some auxiliary functions, such as 3D graphics.  I found some information at the forum post here:  https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/207938/missing-display-option-in-nvidia-control-panel/

I did download the Intel Graphics Control Panel, which has many of the same options.  However, when I set up a monitor in the Intel control panel, it again tells me that it is working, but nothing is received by the monitor. 

I know its still not an issue with the monitor - my roommate can connect to it fine using the same HDMI cable, and I cannot connect to our TV either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, can you try something for me David.

On your laptop F Keys, you should be able to see a symbol like one of the ones I have attached to this message below.

Now, this stands for external monitor. Nearly all laptops have this key. Pressing this F key will switch your laptop screen to an external display. Pressing it again switches it back to your laptop screen.

However, there are two methods for making it work depending on your model of laptop. Some F Keys require that you press and hold down the Fn (Function key) + the F Key with the external monitor symbol on it.

Some laptops only require you to press the F Key on its own.

This can usually be determined by which symbol or number is bigger on the F Key. If the number of the F Key is bigger than the icon, then you will most likely need to press and hold the Fn Key + the F Key (the Fn acts like a Shift Key).

If the Icon for external display is bigger than the number of the F Key, then you will normally only need to press the F Key on its own.

Can you try this and let me know if your display successfully switches to your external display?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neil,

Pressing this key (F8 on my computer) results in the same issue.  It brings up the same quick actions menu I originally used to try projecting. The computer believes that it is projecting, but the monitor receives/displays nothing. 

The five methods I have used to attempt projecting are:

- in the "Project" quick actions menu under the notifications sidebar access through the taskbar

- function key, which brings up the same menu

- Windows key + P, which also brings up that same menu

- Settings app, under System>Display>Multiple Displays

- Intel Graphics Control Panel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your NVIDIA card is by far the superior graphics card. In older systems we had to remove/disable one card if we were putting in a new graphics card, but modern Windows can handle two cards at the same time.

However, I had to ask myself why? Why would I want an inferior graphics card running anything on my computer? What's the benefit? It's not like your better graphics card cannot handle multiple tasks.

So I disabled my intel card in my system and just use my Nvidia card. Haven't had a single problem since computers were designed to run on a single card really (unless you have two or three super powerful identical cards).

However, my computer is a PC. I'm not sure if disabling your intel card will be possible in your laptop system? You could try and do it in device manager like I did in mine. Right click > Disable.

It also sounds like you need to update your Nvidia card drivers too. Go to the Nvidia website and update to the latest driver for your card here: https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?la...

Let me know how you get on.

**NOTE**
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neil,

I can disable my Intel graphics card, but my computer then switches to using "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" as its main display adaptor.  This adaptor causes plenty of issues with lag and overlapping items, and doesn't allow for projection at all. 

I found this article, as well as other sources online, which lead me to believe that my laptop probably can't be switched to only use the NVIDIA, at least without going into BIOS setup, which I'm not too familiar with:

https://www.howtogeek.com/136123/htg-explains-what-you-need-to-know-about-nvidia-optimus/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've seen this article before...it's from 2016. But have you tried updating your NVIDIA drivers? There can be problems with NVIDIA Optimus and switching to the right adapter if you are running outdated drivers on either graphics card.

Since your issue is most certainly graphics related, updating your drivers is always going to be recommended by anyone. Windows update rarely has updated drivers for your graphics card (often months out of date). NVIDIA can release drivers almost weekly sometimes in response to issue as they are discovered. Especially with the release of Windows update version 2004.

I still highly recommend you update your drivers.

Try the NVIDIA on its own first with updated drivers, then enable and update your Intel graphics card afterwards if you're still having issues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delay - I gave up on this for several days and forgot about it temporarily.  

I forgot to mention in my previous reply - I did actually try updating my NVIDIA drivers, and then restarting and running off of only NVIDIA.  This made my main display adaptor become the Microsoft Basic one, not NVIDIA, at which point I searched out the article I found above.  With Microsoft Basic adaptor, I don't even see the option to project available, as it is impossible.  I tried both Game Ready and Studio NVIDIA drivers, with studio drivers supposedly being more stable. Neither worked.  

I switched back to using the Intel driver (updated) along with the NVIDIA driver (also updated). Still not able to project.

Thank you for the help. I don't know what further suggestions there might be, as I'm at a dead end, but let me know if you have any.  Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 2,664 Applies to: