Windows 10 calculator error: You'll need a new app to open this calculator

I found this earlier thread regarding the same problems:

Q:Windows 10 calculator error: "You'll need a new app to open this calculator" 

A few weeks ago I started getting this message when pressing the calculator shortcut button on my keyboard:

This seems to be saying I need an app to open an existing app?  I don't quite get that.  

I thought maybe an update had pulled the Win10 native calculator app so I went to the app store to see if there was one I could download.  Upon trying to access the app store I get this:

Now I need an app to open the Windows app store.  Really?  Can I get this app from the app store?

I tried looking for the calc.exe executable (found it in C:\Windows\System32\calc.exe) but got the same error message when trying to run it.  Strangely, it no longer appears under the app list in the start menu.  I used to have it as a tile on the right side of the start menu but that's not there either.

Any ideas what's going on with these goofy messages?

Yashwanth Kotakuri replied on 
Microsoft

Hello Barry,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

1. Did you make any changes to your computer? Like installing any game or software?
  2. Is your computer up to date with Windows Updates? Press Windows logo key + R, type winver and hit Enter key. Now see the build and version details.

Press Windows Key + R to open run command. Type ms-settings: and hit Enter key. If it brings Settings out, then navigate to Update & Security/> Windows Update and check for any available updates. If you want to confirm that any windows Update caused this issue, then onWindows Update window click Advanced options /> View your update history, there you can find all installed updates along with the date of installation. Now see and let us know if any windows update installed on particular point of time when the problem started.

From the description, I suspect that the problem might be with the User Profile or might be with the corrupted system files. Try to execute below mentioned troubleshooting steps and see if they sort out the issue.

Method 1:

These steps will repair any missing or corrupted system files,, if they causing any issues.

Step 1: Use System File Checker to repair damaged Windows files

Use the System File Checker tool to repair damaged Windows files. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows logo key + X, select Command Prompt(Admin).
  2. Run the "sfc /scannow" command by copy/pasting it into the Command prompt(Admin) and hit Enter key.
  3. Once it complete, try to install updates again to see if they work correctly

For more information about the System File Checker tool, see Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.

Step 2: Run the DISM tool

If the problem continues, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool to fix Windows Update corruption errors. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows logo key + X, select Command Prompt(Admin).
  2. Run the "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" command by copy/pasting it into the Command prompt(Admin) and hit Enter key
  3. Once it complete, try to install updates again to see if they work correctly.

Important: When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions. However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files. To do this, run the following command instead:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Note: Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source. For more information about using the DISM tool to repair Windows, reference Repair a Windows Image.

To learn more about this tool, see Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool.

Method 2:

If an app or update that you recently installed caused problems with your PC, you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers.

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

- Confirmed that widows is up to date (Ver 1709 Build 16299.125)

- Ran System File Checker Tool and no errors found

- Ran DISMtool and no earlier images found

- Tried system restore but only 1 earlier point found (did not correct issue)

- Unable to create new "test" account profile. When click on "add someone else to this PC" no response

Similar problem when I try to run other apps such as solitaire or or download from MS Store. Click and no response. Any ideas short of reloading Windows and reinstalling all my applications (last resort)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

This issue is often caused by a missing or a corrupted data file. We suggest that you go to this link to download and run the troubleshooter for Windows 10 apps. This tool will help us identify where the issue is coming from and fix it right away.

After performing the above resolution, try and check if the issue is fixed. If the issue persists, reset the Windows Store by following these steps:

1. Press the Windows key + R to launch the Run dialog box.
  2. Type Wsreset.exe and press Enter.

This will clear the cache and cookies of Windows Store for it's one of the factors that could be causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further if needed.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ran the troubleshooter and reported that there is a problem with the WS chache but unable to fix. Then ran Wsreset.exe and received error message that "You'll will need a new app to open this ms-windows-store"

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your time responding back to us with the results of the troubleshooter. At this point, we suggest that you create a new user profile with admin privileges. On that user profile, access the Microsoft Store and the other applications where you're getting the error message and see if you're still going to get the same error. If the error message is gone, the current user profile that you have is corrupted and we strongly suggest that you transfer your important and personal files to the new user profile that you've just created. This is to avoid further complications that the corruption can do to your files. You can check this article for the steps on how to create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.

In case that you encounter the same error message on the user profile, try performing a clean boot on your computer. This will start your Windows computer with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs and it will help you eliminate software conflicts that could be the main cause of your issue. You can go to this article for the steps on how to perform a clean boot in Windows.

If the issue is gone after a clean boot, boot your PC into normal mode and scan it with Windows Defender. This is just to check if your computer is infected by any forms of malware. You can go to this article for to protect your PC with Windows Defender. You can also use an antivirus of your choice to scan your computer.

Keep us updated on the status of your issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unable to create new userprofile. When I click on "add someone else to this pc" no response. Tried clean boot and problems persist. PC is virus free.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for responding back to us with the results. If the applications you're having issues with won't open up in a clean boot environment, try to launch them in safe mode. This will start your PC in a basic state with a limited set of files and drivers. You can refer to this article for the steps on how to start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10. If the problem's gone in a safe mode environment, then there could be a program that is affecting your Windows apps and we suggest that you restore your computer from a system restore point. This will take your computer back to the time right before you've made any changes to it. You can go to this article for the recovery options in Windows 10 and look for the steps on how to Restore from a system restore point.

If creating a new user profile in normal mode can't be done, try creating it from the built-in administrator account. You can enable the built-in admin account by following these steps:

1. Type cmd in the Start search and right-click on the Command Prompt.
  2. Select Run as Administrator and type this command:
    net user administrator /active:yes
  3. After typing the command hit Enter and you should see a message that the command completed successfully.
  4. Log out of your current user profile and you'll see an Administrator account as one of your choices in the Windows login page.

Once you're in the built-in administrator account, try and see if you can create a new user profile with admin privileges from there.

Note: The built-in administrator account is created for troubleshooting purposes only. It is advisable to disable it after troubleshooting the issue. You can disable it by typing this command in the administrator command prompt: net user administrator /active:no.

If you have an antivirus, try to disable it and see if the Windows apps will launch without any problems. Just make sure to enable the antivirus once you've checked if the apps are working.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Why should we need to jump thru hoops to get the windows calculator? Microsoft should provide the fix and distribute to all users of Windows 10 Crapator - sorry Creator.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I couldn't agree More! The should provide a patch with the automatic updates!

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Also agree.  I have the "You'll need a new app" popup and there is no way of removing it.  That's just needs fixing, as well as stopping the underlying issue.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We started seeing this issue yesterday across some of our clients' devices.

We tried several solutions, including those posted above, but ultimately we had to go to the Microsoft Store and reinstall Windows Calculator in order to resolve the issue. Still not sure how it got corrupted/uninstalled.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me:

Delete the regkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\[UserSid]

Restart

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 11, 2020 Views 35,386 Applies to: