Windows 10 boots me back into the login screen as soon as I log in

I've tried rebooting and system resotre, but restore never fnishes and rebooting just starts the whole thing all over again.

I'm asking this through the Fedora LiveDVD, and space is temporarily broken there, given i have to paste said space over and over again.,

See if you can get into Safe Mode with Networking by one of the methods in How to enter Windows 10's Safe Mode | PCWorld .  If not Safe Mode w/ Networking then plain Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode go over the Windows 10 Performance and Install Integrity Checklist - Microsoft Community to check the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance and any needed repairs get done.

If this fails try whatever method work to get into Advanced Startup Options including if necessary to Create Windows 10 Installation Media on another PC,   boot by powering up PC while pressing BIOS Boot Menu Key, choose UEFI version of media if offered, on second screen click Repair Your Computer.  In Advanced Troubleshooting  Options try System Restore, Startup Repair, or from the Command Prompt try the repair commands in the Checklist link above. 

Your account may be corrupted so you can try from the same Command Prompt to Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or 10 to boot into it to try the same Checklist, if necessary Create a New Local User Account in Windows 10 with Admin privileges, test it runs all programs, copy your files over and then delete the old account after if necessary Switch back to a local account from a Microsoft account

to be able to delete it and then change the new account to your MS account.

If all else fails you can from the Troubleshoot options  Reset Your Windows 10 PC  or using the same booted media do the gold-standard Clean Install Windows 10 which compiles a better install of Windows than you could pay for.  There is a step to rescue files first. 

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was able to log into my account using Safe Mode, however, I'd like to be able to fix my account without having to create a new one and transferring everything to said new account, then deleting the old account. Is that possible? If not, that's okay. Also, sfc /scannow didn't find any integrity violations.

EDIT: Never mind (for now), I just used regedit to set State and RefCount (Two of the Registries storing my user) to 0, which will hopefully fix the problem.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Regarding the last steps that you tried, we would like to know if it helped you in resolving the issue.

We're just here if you need further assistance.

Regards.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2024 Views 2,172 Applies to: