Windows 10 Black Screen for 2-3 min before login screen

I have upgraded to Windows 10 on July 29. All is going well. There is one major problem that when I starts my Laptop after Windows boot logo screen goes black for 2-3 mins and then comes lock screen. Please resolve this issue.

Specs of my laptop are

HP Pavilion dv6 6120se Entertainment PC

Processor:                              Core i7 @2.20 GHz

Ram:                                       8 GB

HDD:                                      500 GB

Graphics Card:                       Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series

Hi,

Welcome to  the Microsoft Community.

After upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview, did you install all pending Windows Update and update all device drivers accordingly?

Try updating your drivers and check if it helps.

Thank You.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have upgraded to Windows 10 on July 29. All is going well. There is one major problem that when I starts my Laptop after Windows boot logo screen goes black for 2-3 mins and then comes lock screen. Please resolve this issue.

Specs of my laptop are

Hi!

I have the same issue here. The problem is not the Windows 10, it is AMD Radeon driver. Update your AMD Radeon HD 7400M driver. Check whether it is working or not. It may work with the time. They will probably fix the issue with updates. Check the AMD Radeon driver updates frequently and update the driver ASAP.

Good luck!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I upgraded my Dell E6520 (Marked as incompatible with windows 10 on dell website.) from windows 7 pro to Windows 10  pro and I had the same exact issue.

My Video Card is same as yours (Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000). I battled almost four hours to come to a correct solution. I noticed that my HP computer which was running on Windows 8.1 did not get the long lasting black screen before the login after upgrade to windows 10. Therefore I guessed that upgrading from windows 8 is the best solution as it is a close brother of windows 10.

I went to Dell support and downloaded the graphic drivers compatible with windows 8 - For Dell E6520 users: 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=XGPWM&fileId=3354773217&osCode=W864&productCode=latitude-E6520&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

While installing I received a pop up message saying that my computer have the newer drivers and if I am willing to overwrite it. I choose OK to overwrite the existing drivers.

After I rebooted my computer, the black screen was just a blink of an eye.

You may need to go to HP support and download the graphic card drivers for Windows 8. it may resolve your issue.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I upgraded my Dell E6520 (Marked as incompatible with windows 10 on dell website.) from windows 7 pro to Windows 10  pro and I had the same exact issue.

My Video Card is same as yours (Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000). I battled almost four hours to come to a correct solution. I noticed that my HP computer which was running on Windows 8.1 did not get the long lasting black screen before the login after upgrade to windows 10. Therefore I guessed that upgrading from windows 8 is the best solution as it is a close brother of windows 10.

I went to Dell support and downloaded the graphic drivers compatible with windows 8 - For Dell E6520 users: 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=XGPWM&fileId=3354773217&osCode=W864&productCode=latitude-E6520&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

While installing I received a pop up message saying that my computer have the newer drivers and if I am willing to overwrite it. I choose OK to overwrite the existing drivers.

After I rebooted my computer, the black screen was just a blink of an eye.

You may need to go to HP support and download the graphic card drivers for Windows 8. it may resolve your issue.

I would like to know whether you have a dedicated VGA card or not?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I do have a Video Graphics Adapter(VGA) card.

Update to my post from yesterday after multiple tests.

I also noticed that the black screen seems to stay a bit longer when you are doing a restart( start>Power>Restart).

After I changed my drivers, the black screen shows only 2 to 3 seconds when I do a fresh start(by pressing the power button to start), however when I do a restart( start>Power>Restart) the black screen waiting time increases between 8 to 10 seconds (I have tested this several time).

Nevertheless it does not stay on the black screen forever.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I do have a Video Graphics Adapter(VGA) card.

Update to my post from yesterday after multiple tests.

I also noticed that the black screen seems to stay a bit longer when you are doing a restart( start>Power>Restart).

After I changed my drivers, the black screen shows only 2 to 3 seconds when I do a fresh start(by pressing the power button to start), however when I do a restart( start>Power>Restart) the black screen waiting time increases between 8 to 10 seconds (I have tested this several time).

Nevertheless it does not stay on the black screen forever.

I mean beside the Intel(R) Graphics?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Specs of my laptop are

Temporary solution for the issue. Please follow the steps.

Step 1
Go to the registry by typing "regedit" in windows search.

Step 2
Go to the "Edit" tab and click on "Find".

Step 3
In the text box type in "EnableULPS" and then press Find.

Step 4
You should see "EnableULPS". Double click on it.

Step 5
Change the value from "1" to "0"

Step 6

Restart your computer.

Recap
ULPS should now be disabled. Although you can opt to disable it in Afterburner and Catalyst Control Center, it often gets turned back on after an update and so doing this is more efficient.

Note: If you want to turn ULPS back on, simply change the value back to "1".

59 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't know what this setting is or what it did but it totally fixed the issue.  Just upgraded my GFs laptop the other day and she was complaining about it taking too long to boot.  Well it is now 3am in the morning and after countless "fixes" and updates and forums this finally did the trick!

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't know what this setting is or what it did but it totally fixed the issue.  Just upgraded my GFs laptop the other day and she was complaining about it taking too long to boot.  Well it is now 3am in the morning and after countless "fixes" and updates and forums this finally did the trick!

Thank you.

You are welcome!

Here is the answer for your question. ULPS mean Ultra Low Power State.

If you have two AMD card's in crossfire, it probably has ULPS enabled. ULPS disables the second GPU when not in use. This is alright but sometimes it causes issues in overclocking and/or playing certain games. It can also cause other problems do for troubleshooting purposes, it is recommended to disable ULPS.

AMD will fix the issue with times. Update your graphic drivers recently and check whether black screen issue solved or not.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got a similar problem, this is my own fix :

Configuration : HP probook 4730, Video combo AMD Radeon 7400M / Intel HD graphics, SSD

Boot time was less than 30 seconds on win7 x64, but close to 3 minutes after migrating to Win10

It took me 2 days to locate and fix this problem. And it was located in the drivers for the AMD Radeon 7400M.

How I fixed it :

-           Go to HP support & download and loaded the latest available version, which was 2 years old and for Win 8.1 x64 (version 13.xx in place of version 15.xx).

-           From Control Panel/Device list, suppress the AMD Radeon 7400M device

-           From Control panel/Programs , uninstall the AMD Catalyst software & drivers

-           Now install the downloaded HP version (for win8.1 …)

-           Reboot …

-           Boot was ok, no delay. After reboot, a Microsoft generic driver is installed, then it is replaced by the previously installed HP one.

-           Reboot again,

-           Problem seems to be fixed.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2024 Views 15,276 Applies to: