Windows 10 black screen crash

Ever since i upgraded my old laptop I have had this black screen pattern crash. I thought the laptop was going bad so i bought a new one with windows 10 already installed on it and the same thing is happening with the same black pattern. I have up dated the drivers and did things that was suggested on here. I have had no luck in fixing this problem. When it does happen all i can do is do a cold boot to restart it again. Sometimes it is days in between time when the crashes will happen and other times it can happen 5-6 times a day. I cant pin point any program that is causing this and it sure is getting irritating. I hope some one can give me some suggestions, Enclosed is a picture of that the crash looks like, Thanks

Hi Shirley,

I understand the inconvenience caused to you.

To see if any other Third party software is causing the issue, I suggest you to perform the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: Boot your computer in safe mode and check the status of this issue.

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode.

1. Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select Settings.

2. Here select Change pc settings and then General.

3. Scroll down to Advanced startup, click Restart now.

4. Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

5. Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press Enter.

Step 2: Perform Clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried your suggestions and we will see what happens, I also wanted to say i have done a reverse image search on google with the picture i have on here and it does not show any other image like this one, It comes back as a suggestion of material, go figure???. Also when the crash happens the pic on here is not always the same each time,it is similar and also i have figured out when the sound starts go sound funny then the crash is about to happen again. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks, Shirley

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Shirley,

Are you still facing any issues?

If yes, suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Uninstall and reinstall the latest display drivers.

1.  Press Windows + X, click on Device Manager.
2.  Expand Display adapter, right click on device and select Uninstall.
3. Now, restart the computer and the display drivers will be installed automatically.

Method 2: Install the display drivers in compatibility mode.
1. Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
2. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.
3. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue. We’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Shirley,

Were you able to solve this problem?

This looks similar -

Frequent crashes since upgrade to Windows 10 (not BSOD)

Thanks,

Varun

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Although this occurred with my 5 month old HP Elitebook 1030, the issue was that there was a hardware fault on the motherboard... possibly memory, possibly video card... it was not possible to isolate it, as the cards are soldered onto the motherboard and non-replaceable.  HP replaced the motherboard and it has worked fine since. HP said that there have been many warranty claims with that model....

I spent close to a week mucking around with reinstalling new drivers, fresh install of Windows 10 etc. I had intermittent crashes like the one you showed and it was difficult to reproduce. The way I was able to reproduce it fairly consistently was to use a CPU burn in program such as HeavyLoad, and after a while of doing the graphics card testing, then turning off the HeavyLoad and just doing normal work, it would crash.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm going to try replacing my RAM sticks first I think.

Thanks,

Varun

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 5,336 Applies to: