Windows 10 Barebones

So i should be clear about the title, what i mean is ofcourse certain things like gamebar are handy when gaming with xbox friends and VC (Voice Chat).

But it runs in the background so far as i can tell 100% uptime (I could be wrong), but it appears to be this way. 

However while this is a minor annoyance i do NOT want windows EDGE i do NOT need a calculator, or a map, or video codecs.....

The list goes on i just need to run steam and be able to play my fave games and stream using OBS without a million other things clogging up my CPU and SSD space.

Surely with todays tech this can happen, so why am i being bombarded with **** i niether want or need ?? 

Their are crappy work arounds that are not perma options to remove certain things but then may break your OS, what good is that ?? 

So why MS do you keep intentionally alienating your consumers, clients, customers, what ever we are ?? 

If i wanted any of the above just like we used to... A quick google search and oh look i can have a calculator :D great so why do i need you to force it on my machine ??? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Durand1981
the safest way to get rid of some of the extras (without breaking the OS) is to go to settings -> apps -> apps & features
click on each app in turn
if the install button is active click it to uninstall

some, like the calculator can be uninstalled
some are spinoffs from something the OS has to do anyway eg the game bar is just part of the error correction and reporting system.
some are integral to the operating system such as edge that performs other tasks in windows

the problem with removing apps that microsoft considers integral to operating system it will be seen as a problem and repaired and just adds to the frustration.

if the app cannot be uninstalled using the above method, turn off any options you can, set a different default and forget about it.

eg open Edge, click the ellipsis and select settings
on the left, select system
on the right, turn off Start-up boost
turn off Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed
close edge
set your preferred browser as the default in settings -> apps -> default apps

and ignore it
note web searches made from the start menu may still open in edge, but that is the way that Microsoft is able to offer searches from the start menu.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

While i don't mean this to be rude, i am already well aware of this. microsoft store just keeps on re installing it, their is literally no way to keep this **** off my computer other than constantly uninstalling it, i am literally about to go find the next best browser that works with steam and my games im sick and tired of it.

Either that or blow PC off and go buy a PS5 or something.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am sorry, that you didn't find it helpful
as i mentioned if you forcibly remove an app that Microsoft considers integral to the operating system, it will be "repaired"
Microsoft store takes a little over 2MB space and does not use any resources when not opened by the user.

as is the case with other operating systems (android, apple), Microsoft considers the store to be an integral app, it cannot be permanently removed.

apps that can be and are removed using the method above (e.g. 3d viewer) will not be restored even with the bi-annual feature updates.

i am sorry i can't give you the answer you want, some apps simply cannot be permanently removed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All due respect but maybe they should give the consumers what they ask for, namely gamers who make up a rather large (but all be it unknown quantity) by me. And allow us an OS that does what we need it to with out all the BS. Things we want and need for (EG) streaming tools like OBS you dont auto download or suggest them do you ?? 

Why not, it's what i need and is important to me.

What i don't need is a calculator or a freaking MAP. hence the title BareBones Windows 10 Please........

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can make suggestions to the windows development team using the feedback hub (winkey+F)

with so many different wants and needs, whatever microsoft do or don't include will upset someone.

don't get me wrong, i agree that it would be nice to have a barebones Windows and download the addons i want, however with users of other OS raving about the features included, Microsoft have to compete.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Opinions are like **** everybody has one, and i am no different. However my opinion is that bragging rights for inclusive junk, (some might call them features) is overrated, overused and outdated.
For everyone in my world who streams / games etc, all i hear are people especially on a less powerful machine. Or not a very large SSD or something, about decluttering and more efficient tools. That means minimising, and optomising as im sure your aware. 

So barebones would be an essential part of every gamers PC, and any extras wanted or needed can be downloaded from the web (not like its not possible). But a choice would be nice.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it is hard to disagree - i don't play games and don't need the xbox stuff, however it takes up a few KB of storage, uses no additional resources and is not worth my time to even look at it.

i find it frustrating that device manufacturers still fit SSDs that are too small to properly run an operating system without installing any apps or games.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"i find it frustrating that device manufacturers still fit SSDs that are too small to properly run an operating system without installing any apps or games."

- Criminal is what it is. And the machines they are in are a huge unnecessary contribution to e-waste (when the so called SSD is a soldered in chip).

I'm surprised no one has launched a class action against the mfg's of machines with an 32GB 'SSD'. This may be the most blatant planned obsolescence in the history of PC's.

@Durand...

MS do have a one size fits all 'bare bones' gaming OS... XBOX.

- Regarding MS's bloatware. I have removed what can be removed, and ignore the rest. It's not hard to do. Limiting then number of

Startup programs as with previous Windows versions is good enough.

I don't use 'The Store'. Mostly in reaction to Monopoly$soft building it into Win10, but also because it's the worst of the online game shops.

MS encrypting game files is just one more nail in 'The Stores' coffin. However, Win10 runs games as well as Win7 did, in spite of the extra rubbish

(one persons trash is .... ).

- The performance impact is negligible, if even measurable on a machine that is recent enough to be suitable for Win10 (as measured by

the mfg of the machine or motherboard supplying dedicated Win10 motherboard drivers).

People have being trying to run high end game titles (me too from '04>'14 PC gaming), by 'tweaking' and 'optimizing' on low\mid spec

hardware since the beginning of time. Doing so is pretty much pointless for the couple extra fps it yields.  

The only real fix for poor gaming performance is to use high end hardware, or live with what you have.

Powerful hardware is particularly important when trying to stream game play. This creates a very large multi-tasking load on both cpu and gpu.

- Of course the mfg's of laptops have a lot to answer for due to their advertising machines that are only just capable of running games

as 'gaming' laptops. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please don't come in here belittling me, i can tell you now as an owner since 360, xbox one and xbox one X they are not barebones windows 10 machines not even close. On top of that i own a 500GB samsung evo SSD so its not tiny, but add a few games to it (plus streaming tools etc) it soon becomes small, especially if you play ARK SE.

To add to that going back admittedly a few years ago i made the mistake of buying a pre made from Acer it was the G3-605 It came with

i5 quad core

12GB RAM

GTX 980 

1TB hybrid HDD

While at the time it seemed like a great idea little did i know i wouldnt be able to upgrade it, due to the way the ybuild their machines (clearly intentional) so you would go back to them. regardless my machine is A) Not a gaming LAP TOP B) what i would deem a LOW END PC 

While it may not be an xtreme machine with 32GB ram and water cooled components it has done well for what it is.

However my recent obsession with streaming rocket league Which is not that hungry a game, yet combine it with SLOBS and the normal BG stuff that runs the CPU bottle necks and tops out at 100% (or should i say CAN do) unless i turn certain things down or close un-needed processes.

The problem here is in the hardware Acer used, which tbf while it was indeed cheaper and yes indeed in an i5 Quad Core its a absolute monster of a MB (not really) that only allows for a 4th gen CPU. 

Clearly we know already where this is going, please see above as for why i can't upgrade it, not to mention i have no previous experience with PC internals

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No intention of belittling. You started a debate (intentional or not). I offered my personal view regarding the need for a barebones version of Windows.

There was nothing in your post to indicate if you owned a console, or if your PC is suitable for high end gaming. Much less streaming game play,

which as you are aware is very system intensive.

In that regard I stand by what I said about optimizing. Even if MS did release a 'barebones' Windows I don't believe it would offer significant 

performance boost. 

Win7 didn't have the Win10 bloatware, and I dual booted with Win7 for the first six months of Win10. In that time did a number of game

performance comparisons, and saw no real world fps difference of any significance  (I may have if I used a benchmarking tool,

but I play games, not benchmark scores).

As Martmcd pointed out, there would also be many gamers wanting more of something from the barebones version. None of use are

completely happy with Windows in it's current, or previous incarnations. I have plenty of gripes, some of them relating to features

available on XP that were left out from Win7 onward. There is not one size fits all solution.

btw - The reference to 32GB SSD was directed at Martmcd's comment (notice the 'in reply to' box).

- Closed loop liquid cooling is a bit of a scam. The only people that benefit are serious benchmarking overclockers, and they don't

tend to use the common closed loop systems anyway.

Good quality air cooling can actually be more effective, and quieter if the ambient air temp is high, because the liquid in a

closed loop system gets hot and less effective. If you are in an air con space air is still as good or better, even at boost clock speeds around 4.5GHz .

- 16GB RAM is plenty for most gamers, and probably most streaming gamers, with the possible exception of people who are over the top

multi-taskers.

- PC gamers are only a very small percentage of gamers, and the majority of them are 'casual' gamers (point and click, and similar simple stuff

favored by women) who don't need a lot of processing grunt. Consoles have a much bigger following.

- What is important to you is not important to the developers in the MS Ivory Tower. They have their own agenda, and this is 

only a community forum that is intended to help people who are having problems with Windows as it is presented by MS,

so you are  flogging a dead horse posting here with your desires and demands.

Sure you can post  your concept to MS Feedback, but don't hold your breath.

Bye ... 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 7,339 Applies to: