Windows 10 Audio Issues (MME or WASAPI or DirectSound)

I'm running Windows 10 1903, the problem appeared after installing update KB4507453

• The Windows Audio service wouldn't start, I solved the problem by changing the "log on as:" from user to local system account. Windows reports no error anymore but no sound coming out of my speakers (SPDIF)

• The problem is not driver related, I reinstalled the drivers, downgraded to an older version and upgraded to the newest WHQL drivers, Windows reported no errors.

• I tested my audio with Adobe Audition where audio is played by the [ASIO] library instead of the Windows [MME] system, the audio works perfect!

• I installed the ASIO4all plugin in Winamp and also here audio plays perfectly.

• So the problem lies on the Windows MME or WASAPI system (don't know what is actually used by Windows programs), in Audition the MME system reports: "The default output device is not responding and may be disconnected..."

• In the Windows Sound configuration applet the in- and output devices appear as usual but no sound is detected in the microphone or no sound is outputted in the playback device when I play audio trough a DirectSound output (a normal Windows program).

• When I try to play a test tone in the Advanced tab of the Windows Sound configuration applet I get an error dialog that says: "Failed to play test tone".

• I tried uninstalling the update that caused the problem but without result. Reinstalling it also gave no result.

• My previous Windows Image is from one month ago so I would prefer to solve the problem instead of reverting to the one month old image.

Are there any things I can do to investigate or solve my problem? Reinstalling Windows is no option for me as my Windows is highly customised in many many years.

|
Hi rogezz

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

What is the exact make and model?

Open Start, type: system information
Hit Enter
Click System summary
Look in the right pane

Copy the system sku info into reply here.

See example: https://imgur.com/qzektpA

If its custom-built, what is the make and model of the motherboard?

It is possible you might need to update your BIOS and chipset driver to resolve this issue.

A new Windows 10 Cumulative Update was released this week, you might want to try upgrading to that release to see if it resolves the problem.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i think the Windows 10 Cumulative Update caused the problem...

my motherboard has a Z97 chipset and uses the Realtek ALC1150 audio chip.

It's an Asrock Z97 extreme4.

Like I said the problem is not driver related. The chipset runs with the latest driver and I will check now if the BIOS has an update available...

But is it possible the problem occurs with WDM and not with ASIO ?

Sound is playing perfect with ASIO supported software.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi rogezz

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

It is possible you might need to update your BIOS and chipset driver to resolve this issue.

Hi Andre,

so I did what you recommended updated the BIOS (was only microcode update) and the chipset was running the latest driver. The problem remains. As I mentioned before, since my sound is working with the ASIO4all I suspected the problem is not driver related. How can i reinstall the WDM system files? I tried reinstalling directX, but since the latest version is included in Windows10 it didn't really change something, the installed just skipped.

Do you have any other (may be advanced) solution for me?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2021 Views 6,737 Applies to: