Windows 10 apps ask for login when you are already logged in to Windows

Does anyone have an idea why Windows 10 apps ask you to log in, e.g. Mail, Calendar, News, when you are already logged in to Windows using your Microsoft (aka Live) account?

Here's the scenario: I log in to my PC using my Microsoft account, then every other app seems to need me to provide my username and password again.

This is especially annoying since I use 2-factor authentication, because that requires: username + password + numeric code. Even more so when you consider that the Win10 Mail app will fill up the notification center asking you to update your Mail login until you do.

Hello,

Run Microsoft Account troubleshooter, see if it helps.

Regards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

First, instead of providing a download / install link, you should provide a link to the main page for this app.

Second, you should provide an short explanation of what the app does.

Third, there is no problem with my Microsoft account itself.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To resolve your concern about Windows 10 apps which is asking you to login, we suggest that you turn off the UAC on your computer. Please follow these steps:

• Go to Start.
  • Select Control Panel.
  • In the search box, type UAC, and then click Change User Account Control setting.
  • To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK.
  • Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are telling me to turn off a security feature. Not a great idea.

From here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975787

I found this:

Never notify (Disable UAC)

Select this setting if you:
  • Never want to be notified when programs try to install software or make changes to your computer.
  • Never want to be notified when you make changes to Windows settings.

So any malicious site or app could perform an install without me even knowing. This is a sever security risk, it's not a solution, and it doesn't sound like it would solve this issue described in my original question.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the additional information. We suggest that you run the troubleshooter for Windows apps and see if it helps. Please refer to this link for the steps.

After that, we also suggest that you check this link provided by Andre Da Costa.

Update us with the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think you understand the nature of my original question. It has nothing to do with apps not working. I'll re-state it for clarity. Here's the scenario:

1. I log in to my Windows 10 machine using my Microsoft account (this does not require two factor authentication).
  2. After I am logged in, Microsoft apps (Mail, News, Calendar) notify me that I need to log in separately to each one using the same Microsoft account that I just used to log in to my PC, including two factor authentication.

So, my question is, why do the apps require a secondary login in after I just logged in to my machine?

This is especially peculiar when you consider that if I use Mail or Calendar in IE or Edge the browser will automatically log me in. Even Bing and other Microsoft sites recognize me and log me in.

So, why do the Mail, Calendar, and News *apps* always make me go through an additional login process, sometimes more than once a day, when even Microsoft web sites do not?

The apps work fine otherwise.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For Microsoft account related concerns, you may contact our Answer Desk for them to check the status of the account server.

For security purposes, Microsoft Account and any Microsoft Account-related concerns can no longer be dealt with site.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Know how I know you didn't read my original question?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does anyone have an idea why Windows 10 apps ask you to log in, e.g. Mail, Calendar, News, when you are already logged in to Windows using your Microsoft (aka Live) account?

Here's the scenario: I log in to my PC using my Microsoft account, then every other app seems to need me to provide my username and password again.

This is especially annoying since I use 2-factor authentication, because that requires: username + password + numeric code. Even more so when you consider that the Win10 Mail app will fill up the notification center asking you to update your Mail login until you do.

Not only have I not received an adequate answer, it is clear from the responses that either nobody read, or nobody understands the question.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 3,614 Applies to: