Windows 10 app just says "Please Wait" and is frozen

This is what pops up whenever I click on the "Get Windows 10" icon. This has been happening for the past 2 weeks. There is no cancel button, just "Please wait."  How am I supposed to reserve my Windows 10 if I can't even get to the app? Please help, thanks. I restarted my computer and I still get the same "Please wait" box.

I checked "Windows updates" and it says that my Windows 10 is reserved but when I click on "view confirmation," nothing comes up. So should I just assume that the update is reserved even though I haven't done anything because of the "Please wait" box?

Hi Juliann,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I appreciate you for showing interest in Windows 10 and we are glad to assist you. You need to check if the corresponding update KB3035583 is installed in the system to get the "Windows 10 get app".

Try the below methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to check if the KB3035583 update is installed on your System. If that update is not installed then try to install it.

Refer to the following Microsoft article on Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1 and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2: Perform Clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the following Microsoft article and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 Insider Preview.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Harkanwar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,  KB3035583 is installed on my system (checked in Windows update) and I have carried out a 'Clean Boot'.   I still have the same problem as above.  I click on the get Windows 10 icon and the above windows appears and carries on for hours.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same for me

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I was on the phone with Microsoft technicians for a total of 5 hours. The problem was never fixed. They told me that there are some glitches with the app and this is just a glitch. However, they checked my computer and made sure I had all updates installed and concluded that Windows 10 is compatible with my computer.  So the fact that the app does not work is insignificant.

I right clicked on the app and clicked on "reserve my copy" (I don't remember if that was the exact wording) and that seemed to put me on the wait list, regardless of the app not working.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

KB3035583 update was already installed and clean boot already performed but still failed to install windows 10. still stucked in "PLEASE WAIT" screen. I even tried to force update and was able to download but the installation failed. I tried to force update once more but its not working anymore. Need help. Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm in the same boat...

I have Win 8.1 on an i7 desktop computer.    The Windows Upgrade Icon appeared on my task bar back sometime in July 2015.

When I clicked on it, back then, it worked normally.  A window opened with options.  It checked my system and said I was OK to upgrade.  I held off on reserving the upgrade at this time.   I opened it a few times in July and August and the update window popped up as it should.

I have a Windows 7 laptop...  I installed Win 10 on it two nights ago  I used the Windows upgrade icon on the taskbar.  It went smoothly.  After a bit of poking, I decided that I really liked it.

So, I went back to my Win 8.1 - i7 desktop computer yesterday and clicked on the update icon to find that it no longer responds properly.   Now I only get a window with "Please Wait" and spinning dots..   Out of curiosity, I left it on for 12 hours and it never stopped saying please wait.   I've rebooted, I've done a safe boot.  I have all the latest updates (Including KB3035583) installed.    But no joy.

Following a conversation elsewhere on this subject, I downloaded a program from Microsoft called GWXWebWindows.exe.   It's supposed to do the same thing as the desktop upgrade icon.   It does..   I get the same blank window with the perpetual "Please Wait" and the spinning dots.

Why does this 'Please Wait" never go away and why did it just start doing this recently ?????  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been using Windows 3.1 through Windows 7 Professional from its' inception and I requested Windows 10 and received an Icon in my task bar telling me that Windows 10 would be downloaded. After waiting about 20 mins with "Please Wait" on my monitor I got fed up and right clicked in the monitor hoping to get rid of the caption and 'Bingo" - Windows 10 Prof started to download I even requested to download the app to my Download folder with a view to running it at a later date - which I have done of course and I am now running Windows 10 without a hitch Very nice too I find it great - Many thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do i get a live person to talk to?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2023 Views 6,747 Applies to: