Windows 10 and Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter – Intermittent network connection issues

I’ve had this ASUS Model X555L for about a year, but used it daily for only about a month.  When I purchased it, Windows 8.1 was installed, and I had no issues.  I permitted the on-line upgrade to Windows 10 the summer of 2016, and did not notice wireless connectivity issues until mid-December 2016.  At this point, I've spent quite a few hours attempting to resolve the issue and I need help.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz

Installed memory (ROM): 6.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1607

OS Build: 14393.693 (build 14393.rs.1_release_inmarket.161208-2252)

The PC also had McAfee LiveSafe™ installed, and I have a subscription:

McAfee LiveSafe, Version: 14.0, Release Name: 14.0 R10

McAfee Security Center, Version:15.0, Build:15.0.179

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Version: 19.0, Build: 19.0.161, Engine version: 2856.0

McAfee Personal Firewall, Version: 16.0, Build: 16.0.126

McAfee WebAdvisor, Version: 4.0, Build: 4.0.4.206

McAfee Anti-Spam, Version: 16.0, Build: 16.0.137, Content version: 5814

McAfee Parental Controls, Version: 17.0, Build: 17.0.116

McAfee QuickClean and Shredder, Version: 15.0, Build: 15.0.121

McAfee Vulnerability Scanner, Version: 5.0, Build: 5.0.128

The problem is the wireless connection, which intermittently disconnects.  Unfortunately, the disconnections usually occur at the most inconvenient of times.  Sometimes I can reconnect simply by opening the wifi settings, other times I must reboot.  Sometimes my PC will more readily connect to a nearby open wifi signal rather than our own 2.4 GHz 802.11n, which is secured with WPA2.

I have rebooted the PC and the wireless router countless times attempting reset.  I’ve cleared the surplus and unnecessary files from the PC, and performed several normal maintenance activities.

I’ve updated and rolled back the driver versions for the Qualcomm Atheros AR956x adapter to no avail.

I’ve followed instructions shown on the support and community pages for Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

and

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/qualcomm-atheros-ar956x-wireless-network-adapter/cfa052b4-db43-4b3d-a4f1-e39dabbe158c

In short, the issue does not re-occur in “Safe Mode,” nor does it seem to occur in “Clean Boot” mode.

Resetting the TCP/IP stack, releasing and renewing the IP addresses, and flushing and resetting the DNS client resolver cache will temporarily resolve the problem when in normal boot mode, but again, the problem returns intermittently.

Here, I must caution against some of the troubleshooting techniques shown except by those who are very experienced.  I followed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

and “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.”  Disabling services in the manner that is suggested here (disabling the upper or lower half of the services installed) can make it difficult to recover and boot normally again.  Instead, I suppose I would have to stop each service at a time and test to see if the intermittent problem is resolved.

I find that turning off my firewalls and waiting for an intermittent problem to occur (maybe within minutes, maybe overnight) an unsavory option that causes me a bit of anxiety.  I would prefer to rely on the expertise of any of you who may actually know what is going on, and possibly have a solution at hand.

Help?

Update: I turned off the McAfee firewall and tested the system, and the intermittent issue reappeared, dropping connection unexpectedly after only a few minutes.  I was able to reconnect to the wifi, then several minutes later, the connection dropped again.  I've turned the firewall back on, and will hopefully await a reply from someone before paying for technical support.  The alternatives are to install a wired connection to my office, revert back to Windows 8, or what?? Buy a different wireless adapter or completely different PC???

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

turned off the McAfee firewall

Try uninstalling everything from McAfee.   Then test.  Then you may be lucky and be able to re-install it again hoping to have it set its hooks properly in the changed environment (e.g. after an OS update).  Also, I'm not sure about its current state but at one time you might also need to download their "cleanup" program in order to be completely rid of all interfering effects.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update to this question:

I was not interested in uninstalling all of the McAfee installations, but did follow Robert Aldwinckle's advice to run the McAfee cleaner: "you might also need to download their "cleanup" program in order to be completely rid of all interfering effects."

The McAfee cleanup program was already installed:

McAfee LiveSafe > Navigation > QuickClean

Running this utility seems to have addressed the problem.  Knock on wood, I've not had a dropped connection since, and it's been 10 days.  Cookie entries were lost, which required a little bit of work on a few web sites, but that's a small price to pay for resolution.

Thank you Robert!

Ellie

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2024 Views 6,333 Applies to: