Windows 10 All System Tray icons stopped working

When I click on network, calendar, speakers, or anything I place in the system tray on the task bar, they don't do anything.  No errors, red x's, or otherwise.

I did scans, reset icons, restarts, safe mode, and everything else recommended since 2015.  Turned all icons off, resarted, turned them back on, restarted....   Nothing works.  I haven't been able to reset my system from a restore point in Windows 10.  

I am not a techy and don't feel comfortable changing things in regedit or other system administrator tools.  I do not want to re-image or reload Windows 10 - wouldn't even know how to do that.  I only know I don't want to reload all my software and files.  Doesn't seem like it should be necessary.

Anyone found a solution to this problem?

Answer
Answer
Hello BarbBGB,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand you have a problem with system tray icons not working. When was the last time it's working properly? Did you made any changes recently? What is your current Windows version and edition? Press Start then search Settings, select System then About.

Please try the suggested methods below and let me know if it helps.

Restart Windows Explorer

Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
Select the Processes tab.
Scroll down to Windows Explorer, select it, then select Restart.

Press Windows key+R to open Run then type: control then press enter
On the upper right corner > View by > Small icons
Select Troubleshooting > On the left side, click View all
Select Windows Store Apps then Run the Troubleshooter

Repair all Windows apps via Powershell
Windows key+X then select Windows Powershell (Admin)
copy paste the below command one at a time then press Enter. Please ignore the red errors and let the process to complete.

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Restart your Computer

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

John DeV
Independent Advisor

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2024 Views 6,696 Applies to: