Windows 10 activation on Mac

Hi,

I've bought Windows Pro 8.1 5 years ago, & I've upgraded it to Windows 10 when it was launched for free.

Unfortunately, I've removed my Windows OS from my Mac, due to limit of space.

So I wanted to know, how would I be able to retrieve my Windows 10 Key, so I can re-install the windows on my Mac without buying Windows 10? So I would skip the part of upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. 

Regards,

Hosam

***Modified title from: Windows 8.1 Pro Key conversion into Windows 10 Key ***

Hi Hosam,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10. As per the description, I see that you want to retrieve Windows 10 key, which you upgraded from Windows 8.1.

I would like to inform you that since you have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 when free upgrade was available, the license is a Digital License. In Digital License, the license is linked digitally. If you were using Microsoft account, then the license would be linked to your Microsoft account.

In this case, you can reinstall Windows 10 on the Mac computer and sign in with the same Microsoft account that you were using to activate Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Nikhar,

Thank you for your prompt reply, its useful.

However, I would like to know if its possible to transfer the key to a new PC computer instead of the Mac, since Ill no longer be using the Mac for Windows 10 usage. Is the key licensing transfer possible to  to new a PC device? 

Regards,

Hosam

Regards,
Hosam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 8, 2019 Views 61 Applies to: