Windows 10 Activation Issues - Digital Entitlement

Hi,

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 Single Language last year and the activation process went smoothly without any issues. Yesterday, I wanted to do a clean install of Windows 10 November Update and installed it using a USB. While installing, I was presented with only 2 options:

• Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 10 Pro

However I was running Windows 10 Single Language before the clean install. There was NO Windows 10 single language option in the setup menu. Since only these two options were present, I went with Windows 10 Home. After installation, I get an activation error that states "Activation failed because the device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key". I understand that this issue is because I wiped my previous Windows installation to make way for the new one, thereby deleting an important piece of activation data.

I entered my OEM product key which didn't work. I also tried the Windows 10 default product keys which also didn't seem to be working. Now, How do I get my Windows 10 activated? I guess I should be running Windows 10 Single Language, But I can't seem to find those setup files anywhere either. Any help regarding this will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vignesh Krishnan.

Answer
Answer

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the help. I'll try it out. Just a small question. Instead of rolling back to Windows 8.1 SL, what if I perform a clean install of Windows 10 SL and then try?

Yes, that is also an option:

How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key

You've mentioned in one of your articles that we can first set the windows edition to the correct consumer path by using the default keys for the corresponding edition and then enter the OEM key to activate my version of Windows. Can I do this?

Cheers,
Vignesh Krishnan.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi Vignesh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.  
We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble this has caused to you.

Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasn’t been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. Depending on how you got your copy of Windows 10, activation will use either a digital entitlement or a 25-character product key.

Please refer to the article, created by Andre Da Costa January 26, 2015, to fix your issue.

Also, let’s try to refer to these Microsoft articles below and check, if it resolves the issue.

If these above mentioned Microsoft articles didn't help, then let's follow these steps to activate Windows through phone and see, if it helps:

* Open run command by pressing Windows + R and type slui 4 and hit enter.

* Select the country/region from the drop down menu, and then click Next .

* Dial toll free number provided there and follow the instructions from the telephone system and write down the confirmation ID.

* Enter the confirmation ID numbers into fields A through H, in the same sequence as the telephone system provided them. When done, click Activate.

* You can see the confirmation pop-up message on successful activation. 

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2019 Views 2,070 Applies to: