windows 10 activation issue

Here's a description of the issue...

I'm selling a used laptop to a client and can't activate windows 10 pro.

The laptop was originally purchased with windows 8.1 home and because it was for business and needed to join a domain, we purchased a copy of the pro version and upgraded accordingly.

When the time came, we upgraded to windows 10 pro without issue.

I reformatted and re-installed windows 10 to sell the pc, but now it won't activate with windows 10 pro with the windows 8.1 pro key, like it should. I get a message that it has detected a digital licence for windows 10 home, and for some reason i cannot break that link and activate the pro version.

the Windows 8.1 pro licence is 100% legal.. I have the original packaging and media that I purchased with the laptop.

Please assist.. I need to able to hand over the laptop soon.

|

Hello. You may need to use a ethernet cable for internet on Win 8.1. My ideas/thoughts. You have the Win 8.1 Pro installer CD-ROM? Install Windows 8.1 pro on the PC. During setup I do beleive 8.1 installer will ask you to input the Key. Put in the key and set it up as a local account if you can. a digital licence is usally connected to a MS E-Mail address. Give the installer & 8.1 pro key to new user with laptop for repair/reset reasons. I do not personally like pro because of bitlocker. Tell the user you installed Windows Home and do not like the Pro version because the Pro version has bitlocker. If the user really wants the PRO then look on the MS store on the cost for the Windows Pro digital key and subtract the digital Pro key cost off the PC. Example : PC = $ 700.00 - KEY $ 140.00 = $560.00. They would pay $560.00 for PC. Windows 10 Home should be fine.

MSI_Katana_17_B13VFK=[i7_13620H,16GB,8GB_GPU,1TB_NVMe]
I am a normal answers member 😁
🐈 Cattery_Devloper 🐈

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi ,

I am Ivan, I will help you with this

Did you buy Windows 8.1 pro with the correct DVD and activation key?

If so, you would have to remove the digital key that was implemented using the slmgr /upk command line

Open the on commando (admin) prompt:

Run the Command: slmgr /upk and wait, a window will open informing you which key was uninstalled.

After that, you go to the Start Menu > Settings > Updates and security > Activation > Change product key.

Add the Key you received along with the Windows 8.1 Pro DVD.

Independent Advisor - Community
Thanks
Yours sincerely,
Ivan Carlos.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Sept 2023 Microsoft closed a loophole that allowed users to use Windows 7 or 8 licence keys to activate Windows 10. This also seems to affect users that are carrying out a clean install on the same device,

The free upgrade period was 2015 to 2016.

If the activation troubleshooter finds a valid Windows 10 Home licence why not go with that. (was the Pro an upgrade and relies on an activated Home edition)

Otherwise you will need Microsoft support directly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 24 Applies to: