Windows 10 20H2 update breaks windows update.

After updating to windows 10 20H2, windows update is stuck at checking for updates. Every time I try to shutdown or restart it always says update and shutdown and update and restart which takes forever to shutdown and restart the computer. I have restarted the PC a few times now and windows update is still stuck at checking for updates. How do I resolve this issue?

Edit: I don't know what kind of sorcery is this but my problem has been magically fixed! I didn't do anything at all. I just turned on my laptop today and everything is working fine. It's no longer stuck at checking for updates and I don't get update and shutdown anymore. No clue what happened but I am impressed!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Achal,

The first step would be to try resetting Windows updates using an automatic script. See:

http://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2015/12/windows...
Make sure you run the script as an administrator.
Please let us know if you need any assistance.

Disclaimer:
This is a non-Microsoft website which would provide accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on the site which are frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). There is no need to buy paid products to fix your computers as they do more harm than good sometimes.
Sumit
Available 6 PM - 8 AM PST

It is always good to include your PC Specs, make and model in the question

Never Call the Phone numbers received in Emails from the Microsoft Community

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

After updating to windows 10 20H2, windows update is stuck at checking for updates. Every time I try to shutdown or restart it always says update and shutdown and update and restart which takes forever to shutdown and restart the computer. I have restarted the PC a few times now and windows update is still stuck at checking for updates. How do I resolve this issue?

Hello this is Don a user like you. I had the same problem you are experiencing and I noticed in View Update History  in settings the 20H2 was not there even after I thought it had installed after restarting my computer. I knew that the update was going to make Edge a permanent part of the O.S.  so I went and checked Edge. I clicked on Edge settings then scrolled down to Help and Feedback and opened it up then clicked on About Microsoft Edge and when I did that Edge started installing updates.  My Edge is now Version 86.0.622.56 . I then restarted Edge and then my computer. I then went to settings update and security and check updates searching had stopped and the 20H2 update was now in View Update History. I think there is some kind of bug with the update and it will not fully update until Edge is up to date. There must be something in the Edge update 86.0.622.56 that the 20H2 update was looking for to run to completion. This is just a stab in the dark but it might be worth trying. Good luck.

Cheers,

Don

Don

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't even get to view update history. The windows update section is completely broken.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't even get to view update history. The windows update section is completely broken.

It is still worth a shot to try what I suggested as that may fix it. Hopefully a moderator will help you further.

Don

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem on two laptops. Restarted manually several times to no avail. I would start Windows Update and it would just go and go and go and so on. Then something caught my eye.  I got ready to restart one more time. I clicked on the Windows Start Button followed by the Power button to restart manually like I usually do. A tiny notification icon caught my eye on the menu, next to two power options that are not normally there:  "Update and Shutdown" & "Update and Restart". Really?

I selected "Update and Restart" this time instead of just "Restart" or "Shutdown" like I normally do. Upon restart, which took a little longer than normal though not very, all is well again with Windows Update.

For whatever reason, even though my Build info said 20H2, the original update restart that says doing 30% etc., etc., don't turn off your computer, blah, blah, blah, wasn't fully completing the update to 20H2 even with multiple manual restarts. Until, that is, I selected one of the two notification options mentioned above. And, by the way, those two extra restart & shutdown options are gone now as well.

Hope this helps someone out there. Good Luck.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Edit: I don't know what kind of sorcery is this but my problem has been magically fixed! I didn't do anything at all. I just turned on my laptop today and everything is working fine. It's no longer stuck at checking for updates and I don't get update and shutdown anymore. No clue what happened but I am impressed!

Same, I tried restarting etc but eventually just let it sit for a while and it did finish checking for updates and came back to normal.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello this is Don a user like you. I had the same problem you are experiencing and I noticed in View Update History  in settings the 20H2 was not there even after I thought it had installed after restarting my computer. I knew that the update was going to make Edge a permanent part of the O.S.  so I went and checked Edge. I clicked on Edge settings then scrolled down to Help and Feedback and opened it up then clicked on About Microsoft Edge and when I did that Edge started installing updates.  My Edge is now Version 86.0.622.56 . I then restarted Edge and then my computer. I then went to settings update and security and check updates searching had stopped and the 20H2 update was now in View Update History. I think there is some kind of bug with the update and it will not fully update until Edge is up to date. There must be something in the Edge update 86.0.622.56 that the 20H2 update was looking for to run to completion. This is just a stab in the dark but it might be worth trying. Good luck.

Cheers,

Don

This solution worked for me!! Thnkx

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There was definitely something funky going on between Edge and the 20H2 update. But, the only thing that worked for me was to go to "Settings --> System --> Storage" and click on "Temporary Files". There, I was able to clear antiquated Windows Update files, as well as others, and get back to normal.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

WU stuck in an infinte loop of updates after upgrading to 20H2.

Perfectly **** Up.

Thank you MS.

You rules.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Best testing is client production environment.

Good for you MS.

I left this retarded ****. I'm done.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 7, 2021 Views 15,665 Applies to: