Windows 10 1909 Update, disabled Military CAC Smart Card Readers

I have an issue with the recent Windows Update 1909.  A week ago I had no issues accessing my Military CAC.  After a recent Update I could no longer access my CAC.

Both Smart Card readers are listed in Device Manager but ActiveClient does not list any card readers available.  I cannot access via iExplorer, Firefox, or Chrome.

I have an issue with the recent Windows Update 1909.  A week ago I had no issues accessing my Military CAC.  After a recent Update I could no longer access my CAC.

Both Smart Card readers are listed in Device Manager but ActiveClient does not list any card readers available.  I cannot access via iExplorer, Firefox, or Chrome.

Same here. I updated and I can log onto desktop but cannot connect anywhere else. Keep getting prompted to insert a smart card...

Checked some of the other sites I found reader enumeration error, setting should be on, no?

Would also require registry edit to turn on at startup?

Both require admin permissions so it's a no go for us regular users :(

Was told a patch needs to be developed to make the upgrade a later version...

"we have "improvements"...." doesn't the sound of that make you think, oh no, what now? how bad is this one going to fail? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Obviously if its a government computer or company owned computer etc have your IT guys look at it, however this website has fixed my issue, specifically running the Registry change they have for USER access.  I believe the update 1909 changed USER access for Windows hello features and PIN etc.

Additionally I have one CAC reader that won't read my card at all, but I believe that's a transition to PIV certificate issue with compatibility with this 10 year old read.  Many readers have firmware updates.  The one in question is an IO GEAR GSR202 that I bought in training early in my career.  Windows 10 doesn't even have an official driver for it.

The compact portable IDENTIV by TXSYSTEMS model SCR3500  I bought recently at the PX will populate the correct driver AFTER you go into DEVICE manager and select update driver, otherwise it defaults to a generic.  This reader works with both ACTIV CLIENT software and the built in Windows interface.  Have ACTIV on an older windows 10 laptop and just the built-in Windows function on an Alienware.

Info below, obviously use at own risk and always back up your registry before making a change.

Hope this helps, hope someone sees this on google, troubleshooted for a long time, basically step by step from the beginning.  As far as I can tell this registry fix has not effected any of the LOGIN components.

Good Luck!

-Greeno

https://militarycac.org/cacdrivers.htm 

AUTOMATIC TOOL: https://militarycac.org/files/CACReaderNotSeen/Windows10-SCardSVR.zip

"CHECK SERVICES to make sure Smart Card is running

(This Video

shows a very basic version on how to start the service (start at 44 seconds))

If your CAC reader is still not seen by ActivClient, make sure that the Smart Card service is running.

Here's how:  Go to: Start, Search programs and files (in Windows 10 & 8.1),  type: Services.msc   Scroll down to Smart card, double click it and set it to automatic and click Start

If you are unable to start the service; It doesn't show up; ActivClient still says no reader attached; or it acknowledges you have a CAC in the reader (but you can't access it) follow these registry edits below.

Windows 10 & 8.1

Automated method (double click the .reg file inside the .zip folder)

Manual method for Windows 10 & 8.1, (mirror your registry settings to the PDF links below). 

Windows 10 & 8.1 - 64 bit

Windows 10 & 8.1 - 32 bit

Anytime you make changes to the Registry it is a recommended you back it up first"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2023 Views 2,126 Applies to: