Windows 10 1909 File Explorer Search issue

What happened to explorer search? Unable to paste the copied
file name to search for as it was in previous versions. I have to
manually type the file name and press Enter. This is terrible! Why does Microsoft only make things worse with each new version ?!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

have you tried using the 1909 search abbility in the title/ locations bar insteah of the designated search bar/ i can copy paste erase history and search all through what used to be the file name or locations bar to the left of the search. click to highlight then delete :c/ This PC and right click to copy or paste or delete search history

It's not title/location bar, it's the address bar you are talking about... It doesn't have the same history as the search bar and you can't delete anything in the address bar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1909, I have the same problem, File Explorer search stops working after a few searches.

I cannot access it to type, just hover the mouse over it, but my history of searches (e.g. *.exe) does not appear and the box itself is not an editable field anymore.

The fix is to go to task manager, kill Explorer.exe and restart it.

I've been using WIndows since Windows 3.0 in 1991 and I NEVER EVER saw such a Priority 1 bug (I was SW System Tester for many years in Siemens) being shipped out this way, and not being corrected after weeks of worldwide reports (just google...or bing it!)

Absolutely disgraceful.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're right about that.  This is seriously bad quality control.  My understanding is that Microsoft cut their testing staff by a significant amount and this is leading to the lack of product quality we've been seeing in Windows 10.  As far as quality and reliability, Windows 7 was definitely the better product.  It's too bad because I do like Windows 10 but the fact a different part of it breaks as often as it has been lately makes Microsoft look like a company that's struggling.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah!  I just removed 1909 and installed Windows 10 version 2004 AKA 20H1. Everything looks more stable than 1909.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  Finally, someone who knows what she/he is talking about.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. We are having major issues at work, tickets are coming in by the thousands. Never knew how much people used the search. They used it all the time to search shared drives will millions of files all the time. Microsoft please fix this ASAP it is flooding our service desk with too many complaints and we don't have the man-power to switch everyone back to 1903. We are testing 3rd party portable replacement software to work-around this problem. What PITA!!! This has cause so many problems we have a $400,000 project put on hold to deal with all the issues. CEO is pissed!!! Again FIX this ASAP!!!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What happened to explorer search? Unable to paste the copied
file name to search for as it was in previous versions. I have to
manually type the file name and press Enter. This is terrible! Why does Microsoft only make things worse with each new version ?!

Not a Microsoft Adivor, but I am a long-term computer user. There is a workaround that might help at least some of you who are struggling until they fix it. It's how I've had to do a bunch of searches since this problem started, and that's go back to DOS :p. Searching within a file is much more complicated, but searching for a specific filename or filetype, even down the tree, is covered.

Open a Command Prompt - 
Right click the Windows sign

Select Run

Type "cmd" (without the quotes) in the box.

Some things you might find handy In the Command Prompt (and you can always search the Web for more)-

Type: 
cd " then paste the path from the Windows Explorer address bar and close the " - The prompt will go to that folder.
dir "filename.extension" - Use the quotes to protect against spaces in the filename being misinterpreted.
dir "*file*" - You can also use * for wildcard searches
dir "*.jpg"
dir "*.jpg" /s - Search down the directory tree from where you started.
dir "*.jpg" /s >mysearch.log - Puts the results into a text file if more than a few are expected so they don't scroll offscreen.

Ideally, they'll fix it soon, but if rolling back isn't an option, I hope this helps. Between the logging and the speed, I used these before the bug, so had them to fall back on. Copy and paste with both click and Control-V still work in DOS.

Cheers,

Margaret

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"File Explorer is a tool in Windows 10 that allows you to browse the files and folders on your hard drive, and it comes with a search box that is supposed to let you quickly and easily find files within drives and folders. 

Unfortunately, Microsoft saw fit to tinker with the search box in the Windows 10 November 2019 Update by adding the ability to search your online OneDrive cloud storage as well as your local files.

As well as adding this function, the update broke the search bar, as a number of users are complaining that using search makes the window become unresponsive for a while. Users are also unable to right-click and paste text into the search bar with a mouse."

Source: https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-file-explorer-is-still-broken-but-microsoft-is-promising-to-fix-it

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Further to my own Feedback submission to MS, whereby CTRL +F, whilst in File Explorer (FE) only produced a Blue Box with a RH-Arrow (no cursor), Search now seems to be much better.  CTRL + F (to query a large mp3 Folder) now generates the Titles for the Artist in question held within the Library, as a drop-down Menu.  This I believe was one improvement MS intended, (previously only one queried title appeared) and it is greatly appreciated.  Thus for now I would withdraw my personal original gripe to MS.  Meanwhile, I hope that others within this thread resolve their individual problems. 
Rocassa45

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks to people mentioning the problem was cloud search being added, when I had a problem with a USB portable drive being constantly indexed so "in use" and causing issues with application access, I found this under Settings>Search>Permissons and History.

Assuming that is the problem with search box usage causing Windows Explorer to crash, this might help. I'm still on 1909, so it's not something added, just something hidden. It does not resolve the lockout of the right-click menu.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2020 Views 11,889 Applies to: