WINDOWS 10 1903 UPDATE ERASED EVERYTHING ON MY COMPUTER HOW DO I GET IT BACK? HELP!

I am FREAKING OUT! I have an ASUS ALL IN ONE with windows 10. my computer said to update because i was gonna lose the support ..so i updated with windows 10 1903. and IT erased EVERYTHING on my computer. My pictures important papers. I cant even get into my emails. someone PLEASE HEP .. How do I roll it back. ??
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am FREAKING OUT! I have an ASUS ALL IN ONE with windows 10. my computer said to update because i was gonna lose the support ..so i updated with windows 10 1903. and IT erased EVERYTHING on my computer. My pictures important papers. I cant even get into my emails. someone PLEASE HEP .. How do I roll it back. ??

I had the same problem this week.  It did an update and everything is gone -p like a new PC.  Over 10 years of documents, pics, programs all gone.   I haven't tried restoring backups or recovery yet.  Now searching online it appear Microsoft was aware of this problem.  "Where is the earning - the support??????

I've lost trust for Microsoft.  It will be a long time before I feel my data is safe, if ever.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If its been less than 30 days the geek squad said they can get my stuff back for $50.00 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go for it with the Geek Squad!  If your not computer savy.
DELL 7572 15.6"/i5 [2019]
ASUS F556UA 15"/i7[2016]
Toshiba 11"[2015], Acer Spin 1 11"[2016], Acer Spin 1 11"[2017]
All Win 10 Ver 21H1, 19043.1081

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Diane

Most likely, you are logged into a temporary account . . .

Before you do anything or move any files around

Restart (not shut down) your PC 4 times, this will fix this issue a lot of the time . ..

Otherwise:

Please open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Users
Do you see two user folders that look like yours?
Open those folders and check inside Pictures, Documents . . . etc. and see if your files are there

If your files are there:

Create a new user profile with Admin privileges
Copy all your data from the old profile to the new profile (Documents Library, Pictures Library . . . etc.)

If you still have not found your files, look for a Windows.old folder on your C Drive, expand that to open the users folder contained inside - check there for your files, icons . . .etc.

If you do find your files . . . etc. there, copy them out as soon as possible as Windows will remove the Windows.old folder in time

NOTE VERY IMPORTANT: Do Not copy your files into the Temporary profile you are currently in, when the situation is corrected, your files will be deleted with the Temporary Profile and will not be recoverable !!

If none of the above works for you:

Press the Shift Key and click Restart

Your PC will boot into the Windows Recovery Environment

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Revert to previous build of Windows

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If its been less than 30 days the geek squad said they can get my stuff back for $50.00 

I'm working with Microsoft phone support now.  They had me try 5 restarts which did not help in my case.  They had me look at the C: drive for a Windows old file which I did not have.  At that point they escalated my case to Level 2.  They will call me back tomorrow.  No charges.  You might want to try them first before paying the Geeks.

Thanks Good Luck - I feel your pain.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing happened to me. No help from MS. UNABLE to restore programs from a "Removed Apps" folder.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wait ... there's something a little ... odd here.

Who told you that you would "lose support" if you didn't update your computer? No one from Microsoft would say that, because it makes no sense.

Something else that's odd:

A genuine update that comes from Microsoft would not "erase EVERYTHING on my computer." That also makes no sense, because updates do not have that ability. If an update did routinely erase computers, we would all know about that by now and Microsoft would have quickly withdrawn the update. It's withdrawn updates before.

That leaves two possibilities:

1- You've been hacked.

2- You setup your computer in such a way that 'everything' would be erased by an update. But that's very unlikely, no matter how inexperienced you are. A person has to deliberately operate their computer in such a way that it would get erased by an update.

For example, you would have to deliberately continue to operate your computer in a temporary profile after being advised that you were signed in to one, and by chance never had an opportunity to restart your computer since that time (or simply avoided doing so.) In that case, the restart needed to finish installing an update would erase everything you've done on the computer since the time you were switched to a temporary profile. But even then, that wouldn't erase 'everything' because you still have all that you did on the computer before you were switched to a temporary profile.

Or you would have to deliberately, ever since you received the computer, store all your files in folders that are likely (but not guaranteed) to be erased by installing an update. But who does that? It makes no sense to do that, no matter how little someone knows about computers.

It would be helpful if you define what you mean by "EVERYTHING." Does that mean there's nothing left on your hard drive? An update simply cannot do that.

So, based on what you've told us, my guess is that you were hacked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not affiliated in any way with Directly or their Independent Advisors.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found my files. but I don't know how to get everything back to the way it was ..I had to hunt through everything to find them and made a shortcut to the main files I work with all the time . I cant find my email that wont open and  all my paperwork I found ..that is going to flash drive and so are my pictures. thank goodness they are there but some folders with some pictures in them are not. so everything I found is going on a flash drive until I can figure out how to move every thing. thanks for your input . and your time.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it is called  "cut and paste".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It did the same on my wife's computer. I went back to a previous version of Windows 10 and everything was there like it was before this absurd update.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2021 Views 4,381 Applies to: