Windows 10 1903, RDP broken if disconnect and attempt to reconnect

After upgrading to 1903 on multiple PCs and VMs, there is an odd issue with RDP that is different from the infamous "black screen" RDP issue. In my case, the target is a VM on a Windows 10 Hyper-V host.  RDP works perfectly fine on the initial connection, but if the RDP session is disconnected, trying to reconnect shows either a black screen, a white screen, or a frozen "logging on" screen. The target VM becomes completely unresponsive.  Even the console Connect option in Hyper-V Manager is unable to connect to the VM.  I have to forcibly power down the VM and start it up again. If I continue trying to connect with RDP, the VM will blue-screen and restart.

The graphics driver solutions for the black screen issue do not apply here because it's a VM, not a physical PC.  Update KB4512941, which addresses the black screen issue, did not fix my issue.  The solution/workaround to disable WDDM on the target VM does fix the issue, but I certainly would prefer an actual resolution so that I can re-enable the superior WDDM protocol.

Hi unimatter

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

This might be a bug the engineers are not aware of.

I would also recommend you file a bug report; send me the short link so I can vote on it and bring it to the attention of the Windows engineers in my capacity as a Windows Insider MVP.

https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/54-how-to-su...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Virtual Box VMs have a similar problem - they must be forcibly powered down if you disconnect an RDP session then try to reconnect it.   Except that for Virtual Box VMs, switching off WDDM does not help at all.

The freeze seems to occur at about the time when the RDP Host would be displaying the lock screen on the console.   It is almost as if the problem is that the lock screen is already shown and it is trying to show it again (just a guess).

The only workarounds I have found are either a) use "tscon 4 /dest:console" to end the session or b) "Sign Out" (not disconnect) the RDP session   Obviously neither of these helps if the disconnect was not under my control.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We have had the same issue but have found that Remote Desktop app in the store seems to be able to reconnect, its shows a screen briefly around "Unlocking PC" or something along those lines before logging back into the VM.

The default windows RDP client (version 10.0.18362) doesn't not seem to be able to complete this reconnect request.

We have VMWare VM's that froze after a dirty disconnect but this app from the store seems to work for us. Let me know if it works for you and maybe Microsoft can look into this for us.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestion, but for me, the Remote Desktop app is not a solution.   It fails to connect at all, 90% of the time.   I am using it with the same .rdp file that I use with mstsc.exe.   Possibly there is some setting in there that does not work with the app, I did not pursue it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem, once someone connects they cannot properly disconnect.  They run very slow and issues with performance.

To fix I have done the following

wusa /uninstall /kb:4517211

disabled the update service

paused the update service till Nov 13 (furthest out I could go)

Set update to allow me to say yes so the next time and Upgrade occurs I get to test it first and get checkpoints to back out. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\AUOptions = 2

I have posted this finding on:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0ff60ded-90fd-43de-ad42-47dda348288b/hyper-v-cannot-reconnect-windows-10-version-1903?forum=winserverTS

Now how do I get this registered as a bug and get notification I have a patch that I can test out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had the same problem for months now with RDP connections to VMs running Windows 10 1903. Yesterday I stumbled across a post that turned out to be the solution. You need to disable WDDM in Remote Session Host using Group Policy Editor as shown...

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2020 Views 3,579 Applies to: