Windows 10 (1709) Windows Store completely missing

I noticed in a previous version of Windows 10 (1703) that the Store and a few apps were blacked out, so I updated to the latest version 1709, installed all the latest updates today, and everything is working fine except for the fact that the Windows Store has now gone completely AWOL. I've spent hours going through all the solutions posted here and elsewhere to try and reset/refresh/reinstall Windows Store through app repairs, diagnostic repairs, disc scans, registry resets, powershell commands, safe booting, disabling software etc. etc., but every solution fails for the same fundamental reason -- The Windows Store files are simply not there. There is no package for it in the AppData folder. There is no record of it in the appmanifest file. There is no mention of it when I list the apps through powershell. There's nothing to repair or refresh, period. Nada. It's like the required files simply don't exist on this machine at all. And reverting back to the previous version of Windows seems like a non-starter since that was where the problem started. 

So my question is this: is there any way using an ISO file on a flash drive or through a download to actually reinstall the relevant files to the Windows system on my machine without resetting the entire Windows installation? Or is there a way to find out whether the relevant files do actually exist somewhere but just aren't being seen by the system?

Everything else on the machine is fine, and all the Windows apps currently installed work fine, so I DO NOT want to reset or reinstall the entire windows installation.  It would be far too much of a hassle to reinstall/reconfigure/customize all the software to set up the machine all over again with no guarantee I won't run into other problems along the way. 

Surely there's a way to just reinstall the Windows Store. If not then I'll just live happily without it and continue to be utterly baffled how such a basic piece of software can't be designed to be independent of an OS. 

EDIT: I just set up a new administrator account and when I signed in to it the Store app was there and working fine. So clearly it does exist somewhere on the machine. How do I get it back into the other administrator user account? Or do I have to transfer everything from the old account to the new one?

|

Hi,

The presence of Windows Store on the new user account may indicate that your current user profile is corrupted. You should be able to transfer all your current data to the new user by following these steps:

1. Navigate to File Explorer > This PC > Local Disk C: > Users.
  2. Open your current user profile's folder and copy all its contents.
  3. Open the new user account and paste all the contents.
  4. You may decide whether to keep or delete the old account.
  5. Restart your device afterwards.

Let us know how it goes.

If you think this was useful, feel free to mark it as an answer to help those who are facing the same problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks. Are there any files I should not copy over? And do I replace (overwrite) all existing files/folders with the same names in the destination (new user) folder? NTUSER.DAT, for example, can't be copied because it's in use by the current user, so should I ignore it or copy it over some other way? The same goes for about 50 other files (I gave up trying to list them). Clearly there's some secret to duplicating a user profile. Simply copying files doesn't seem to be it. 

It would be a lot easier if I could copy some aspects of the new profile to the old one to get the Store working again. Is that possible?

I'm also curious if there will be any issues related to having a different user name. Are there applications etc., for example, that have settings for "user A" that might not work properly if accessed by "user B"?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All files and folders should be copied. Including hidden files except Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log, and Ntuser.ini. Paste in on the new user account and replace the existing ones. If one or more files or folders cannot be copied, follow the prompt to cancel the process for the specific file.

Restart and log in as new user and observe if there's anything that's not working properly. I don't think copying the Windows Store package from AppData folder will work but you can also give it a try.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue on a number of machines after 1709 installed.

Here is the fix...

Download Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4.appx

Open PowerShell and run...

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Your store will be restored.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2021 Views 1,371 Applies to: