Windows 10 1709 upgrade failure

I am attempting to upgrade to Windows 1709. The update fails at 49% indicating that some apps need to be uninstalled. These are McAfee HIPS and McAfee Enterprise Edition. These apps are not installed on my PC and no folders exist for this software. The uninstall and continue option does not work. I am told to uninstall manually which is impossible since these apps are not installed. I suspect that there are some redundant registry keys which are causing this problem. I have unsuccessfully tried using MCPR to uninstall this McAfee software. Where in the registry does Windows 1709 check for incompatible software ?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you are using the Update Assistant, you can try upgrading manually using the Media Creation tool or iSO file. I notice this tends to happen with the Update assistant.

Please be advised some users are reporting issues with the Windows 10 1709 update. Make sure you backup before attempting to upgrade:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

What is the make and model of your computer?

Have you checked the manufacturers website to determine compatibility?
Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

perform the following tasks:
12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1709)
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/prepare-comput...

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update version 1709 using ISO File from Versions 1507, 1511, 1607 and 1703
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You chose to post in a Consumer-specific forum. You will find appropriate support for Win10 in your environment in the IT Pro-specific forums => https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-...

Note: The McAfee CONSUMER Products Removal Tool will have no effect on McAfee ENTERPRISE Edition.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. I realized that MCPR has no impact.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Lenovo Z500 Ideapad (laptop). It originally came with Windows 8.1 Home Edition (x64). I have successfully pushed it through all updates up until now. It is currently running Windows 10 1703 Pro (x64). I am busy downloading the full iso and will try an offline upgrade. I still don't understand why the 1709 upgrade has an issue with software that is not installed (McAfee). I may have had McAfee Enterprise installed when I was running Windows 8.1 but that was a long time ago. There may be some residue of it in the registry somewhere. However, previous builds and feature updates have not complained about it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, lets hope the ISO works.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The offline ISO installation did not work. I encountered the same problem. I was requested to uninstall McAfee HIPS and McAfee Enterprise Edition. These are not installed programs under Programs and Features therefore a conventional uninstall is impossible. There are no McAfee folders under Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data or Windows folders. No McAfee services are active. I repeat one of my original questions - Where is the Windows 1709 Feature Update checking for incompatible software. Is it somewhere in the registry ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It could be checking your startup programs and services.
Press Windows key + R
Type msconfig
Hit Enter

Select the Services tab
Scroll the list and look for any entries for McAfee

Uncheck them then try again. Another user had problems with Symantec EndPoint and they ultimately had to resort to a clean install. These enterprise security clients tend connect all over the place.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you look at my last posted message it indicates that no McAfee services are running and there is no McAfee software installed, no folders etc. Therefore nothing can be running.(I have checked services with msconfig and there is nothing.). Where is the 1709 upgrade detecting McAfee HIPS and McAfee Enterprise ?? Do you think it is in the registry ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Lenovo Z500 Ideapad (laptop). It originally came with Windows 8.1 Home Edition (x64)...

Please answer-by-number, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the Lenovo computer?

1b. Where or from whom did you purchase the computer?

1c. Was the computer sold to you as a brand-new, never-been-used-by-anyone-else computer or as a used (refurbished) computer?

2. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

3. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool or the Norton Remove and Reinstall? tool?

4. When (exact date) did you run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

5. What OS Build of Windows 10 Version 1703 is currently installed?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I purchased it approximately 4 years ago brand new from a reputable dealer (Incredible Connection) and I am the sole user. If you look at my original post you will notice that I mentioned that McAfee may have been installed when the laptop was running Windows 8.1, but it has not been installed while running Windows 10. Previous upgrades i.e. 1511, 1607 & 1703 have never complained about McAfee. And as I have indicated it is not installed and no folders exist for this software. No McAfee services are active. I ran MCPR on Friday 17th to try and remove it, but as you indicated, and I discovered it does not work with Enterprise edition. I have not run Norton Removal Tool or Norton Remove & Reinstall. Current Windows Version is Windows 10 1703 (OS Build 15063.726). I would really like to know where/how the 1709 update checks for incompatible software ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2020 Views 2,651 Applies to: