Window Update Service consumes all CPU usage and won't download updates

Custom installed win 7 32 bit SP1 on a Emachine E625 with 4 GB RAM, all worked well and activated windows. Noticed that automatic updates would not work and kept getting error messages 1st error was 80244019 then all errors were 80070005, then no errors but auto updates just kept running without downloading anything.

Noticed in Task manager that the process svchost.exe was using 100% cpu. went to Services & Resource Monitor and discovered that wuauserv was the CPU hog. I stopped the update service wuauserv and CPU usage went back to normal, i.e. 0%, but of course Automatic Updates will not work. I've searched everywhere for a solution, including this forum, but nothing works from multiple virus scans using several antivirus programs to Microsoft Fixit to Windows Update diagnostics to resetting automatic update components, etc.

Can anyone help, this is perplexing?

Thanks,

Ron

Question Info

Last updated June 27, 2018 Views 1,217 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Please run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

Please provide the exact details of any problem it reports as not fixed.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

Please provide the exact details of any problem it reports as not fixed.

Thanks for the response Gerry!

Did this previously and it did not resolve the problem, actually this was one of the 1st things I tried.  I just wiped my hard drive and reinstalled windows 7 x86 again. After reinstall just ran Windows Update Troubleshooter as you suggested.

Results:

Problems installing recent updates -NOT FIXED.

Service registration missing or corrupt - FIXED.

Checked again for updates and got..... Windows Update encountered an unknown error, code 8007000E...... clicked "get help with this error" but the help listed several other error codes but not 8007000E ......... this is exactly the same problem that occurred previously, several times before.

Thanks again but need addition help! Any other suggestions?

Ron

Sorry this didn't help.

Custom installed win 7 32 bit SP1 on a Emachine E625 with 4 GB RAM, all worked well and activated windows...

Was Windows 10 ever installed on the computer-in-question?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Was Windows 10 ever installed on the computer-in-question?

This is a different system then the other question at the Windows 10 link you mention above.

Widows 10 custom installation was started using a win 10 install CD but then the install was cancelled at the point when  asked to specify the partition for installation. No partition was specified and the actual install i.e. copying files, etc. never began.

This was done to see if win 10 would correct the problem but on second thought it was cancelled thinking this was not a good solution as the problem existed even before the win 10 install attempt.

Thanks,

Ron

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't ask if this thread concerned the same system as in your 24 November 2015 thread, I asked if Win10 has ever been installed (whether it succeeded or not) on the eMachine you referenced in your first post above.

That being said...

When (exact date) did you the Custom install of Win7 32-bit on the eMachine computer?

What installation media did you use to do the Custom install of Win7 32-bit?

When (approx. date) did you purchase the eMachine? Was it a brand-new computer or a used/refurbished computer when you bought it?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

When (exact date) did you the Custom install of Win7 32-bit on the eMachine computer?

What installation media did you use to do the Custom install of Win7 32-bit?

When (approx. date) did you purchase the eMachine? Was it a brand-new computer or a used/refurbished computer when you bought it?

1. Custom install performed on March 17, 2016

2. Install media Windows Home Premium CD, 

3. eMachine was a second hand / used, given to me about a week ago. It had a copy of Vista Home Premium on it and FYI Vista would also not update either. It had the same update problem.

Thanks for your assistance,

Ron

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Did you format the HDD prior to doing the Custom install of Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit)?

2. When & where did you obtain the Win7 Home Premium CD [sic]? Is it a full retail disk or...?

3. How long has the computer been connected to the internet since you did the Custom install of Win7 on Thursday, 17 Mar-16?

4. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite (if any) and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

===============================================

Windows Update error...8007000e

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/windows-update-error-80070008-or-8007000e

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Did you format the HDD prior to doing the Custom install of Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit)?

2. When & where did you obtain the Win7 Home Premium CD [sic]? Is it a full retail disk or...?

3. How long has the computer been connected to the internet since you did the Custom install of Win7 on Thursday, 17 Mar-16?

4. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite (if any) and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

Windows Update error...8007000e

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/windows-update-error-80070008-or-8007000e

1.  Yes, HDD was formatted.

2. Just prior to Mar. 17 install, From Microsoft download ISO IMAGES,   https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

3. Connected to internet all the time since 17 Mar-16?

4. AVG Free Antivirus, does not expire, no additional anti-spyware or firewall. 

no additional languages installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer-by-number (preferably without quoting my post):

1. What Product Key did you use to download the Win7 ISO?

2. Have you Activated (AKA authenticated; validated) the Custom install of Win7 on the used eMachine computer that came with Windows Vista preinstalled when it was new & when you bought it?

3. In Windows Explorer [WinKey+E], navigate to & right-click on:

• C:\Program Files\AVG <=this folder

Select PROPERTIES: What's the CREATED date displayed on the resulting GENERAL tab?

4. After you completed the Custom install of Win7, which did you do first: (a) Checked for & attempted to install updates or (b) Got AVG Free installed?

5. Are there ANY updates listed in Installed Updates (not Update History) that have an installation date of 17, 18, 19, 20 or 21 March 2016?

6. Is Internet Explorer 8 (IE8), IE9, IE10 or IE11 installed?

7. Is Firefox version 45.x (or higher) and/or Google Chrome version 49.0.2623.87 (or higher) or any other alternate browser installed?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help but got so tired of trying to solve the update problem I decided to install win 10 and it fixed the update problem. FYI, THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM OCCURRED WHEN i INSTALLED WIN 7 64 BIT ON ANOTHER LAPTOP, THIS TIME IT WAS A DELL INSPIRON. (sorry caps lock was on, didn't notice). Both systems work great and update with Win 10.

So my next question is, "why" didn't updates work on both systems using win 7?

Sorry this didn't help.