Since when are you getting this error?
Did you make any recent changes?
Which program are you trying to run?
There are several different ways that comctl32.dll errors can show up on your computer. Here are some of the more common ways that you might see comctl32.dll errors:
• "Comctl32.dll Not Found"
• "This application failed to start because comctl32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
• Comctl32.dll errors are caused by situations that lead to the removal or corruption of the comctl32 DLL file.
• In some cases, comctl32.dll errors could indicate a registry problem, a virus or malware issue or even a hardware failure.
Restore comctl32.dll from the Recycle Bin. The easiest possible cause of a "missing" comctl32.dll file is that you've mistakenly deleted it.
1. Open the Recycle Bin by double-clicking on its icon on the Desktop.
2. Locate and then select whatever file(s) and/or folder(s) you need to restore.
3. Right-click on the selection and then choose Restore.
4. These files and folders will now be restored to their original locations.
Important: Recovering a deleted copy of comctl32.dll with a file recovery program is a smart idea only if you're confident you've deleted the file yourself and that it was working properly before you did that.
I would suggest you to run System File checker and see if it helps:
1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
2. Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.
3. In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:
Here is an article that will give you information on SFC Scan: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212
1. Run a virus/malware scan of your entire system. Some comctl32.dll errors could be related to a virus or other malware infection on your computer that has damaged the DLL file. It's even possible that the comctl32.dll error you're seeing is related
to a hostile program that's masquerading as the file.
2. Use System Restore to undo recent system changes. If you suspect that the comctl32.dll error was caused by a change made to an important file or configuration, a System Restore could solve the problem.
3. Reinstall the program that uses the comctl32.dll file. If the comctl32.dll DLL error occurs when you use a particular program, reinstalling the program should replace the file.
Important: Try your best to complete this step. Reinstalling the program that provides the comctl32.dll file, if possible, is a likely solution to this DLL error.
4. Update the drivers for hardware devices that might be related to comctl32.dll. If, for example, you're receiving a "The file comctl32.dll is missing" error when you play a 3D video game, try updating the drivers for your video card.
Please respond back for the status on the issue and let us know if you have any issues.
Azam – Microsoft Support.