Window 10 Camera app - need to change save location

I've seen this question for Windows 8 but can't find a solution for Windows 10. 

I want to change the location for where the camera app saves files. Currently it's saving to a network location. All files for the user are redirected to the network location. The device is a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. The user takes the Surface out of the office and wants to create a video. However, he gets an error message that it can't save the file (he's not connected to the network).

I checked the settings in "Change where new content is saved" and "New photos and videos will save to:" is set to "This PC(C:)" but it still is wants to save to the network location. However I can change it and save to a flash drive if one is plugged in. But I want to save to C:/users/username/pictures/camera roll

I tried changing the location in the Properties of the Pictures folder and .../pictures/camera roll folder but it won't let me change it and there are no options to change it. The location is the default network location for the user. 

I did try to reset the camera app but that didn't help. I have not tried to uninstall/reinstall the camera app but I don't think that will help either. There has to be a way to change where the files are saved. 

Thank you for any help.

Sharon

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Additional information......  This is the error message that he gets when he tries to take a video (I tried to snip/paste the error but that didn't work):

Something went wrong

Sorry, we weren't able to save the video.

If you need it, here's the error code:

0xA00F425C<VideoCaptureFileCreationFailed>(0x8131500)

Tried looking up the error code but that didn't give me any useful information either.

Sharon

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

One more piece of info. My Surface is set up the same way as my user: files redirected to a network location and new content saved to "This PC (C:)".  But when I use my camera, the files are saved where I want them to go:  C:/users/username/Pictures/Camera Roll

And we do not use OneDrive. 

There has to be a difference somewhere. But what???

Sharon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi shTinkey,

I have noticed that this thread has been idle for some time now, I would like to know if you're still encountering the issue and needs assistance. If yes, let's try to create another user profile and see if the issue will also occur on that account. Click on this link on how to Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.

Update us on the result.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What does the link to create a local user or admin account have to do with my issue?!?!?! Did you even read my posts?!?!?

The issue still exists. 

We have a work-around, using a flash drive. That creates another location but it doesn't FIX the problem.

To actually FIX the problem, I need to be able to change the location to save to C:. But it wants to save to a network drive which doesn't work when the Surface isn't connected to the network. As already stated, the settings in "Change where new content is saved" and "New photos and videos will save to:" is set to "This PC(C:)" . So there must be another setting somewhere that is redirecting it to his default network drive. That needs to be overridden to save to C:. 

Also already stated, my Surface is set up the same as my user who is having the problem. All settings I've checked on my Surface and compared to his are the same. The camera on my Surface works fine when disconnected from the network, files are saved to C: but not his.

There must be something somewhere that's different but I can't find it. 

How about an actual fix to the problem rather than a robo-reply!!!

Sharon

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me say upfromt, I use a standalone machine so am unable to experiment with network redirection.

But when the Camera Roll folder's location is changed, a new registry value is created under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

The value name would be: {AB5FB87B-7CE2-4F83-915D-550846C9537B}

and its data would be the path to your Camera Roll folder.

You might check to see if these values exist on both the working and non-working machines.

Keith

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply.

Just checked the registry entries on my Surface (my user isn't in right now).  ..../My Documents/ My Pictures, ...../My Videos, ..../My Music are all pointing toward my redirected folder on a network server. So this can't be the settings I'm looking for since pictures and video do go to C: and not the network.

Sharon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are there GUID-named entries under that key that point to your local folders?

{0DDD015D-B06C-45D5-8C4C-F59713854639}?

{35286a68-3c57-41a1-bbb1-0eae73d76c95}?

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No. They point to the redirected ......./My Documents/My Pictures and ..../My Videos on the server. 

Sharon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So when you're not connected, what folder opens when you click in the Address Bar of a File Explorer window and type:

Shell:Camera Roll

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Both photos and video are here:

This PC > Documents > Picture > Camera Roll

Properties > Location for Documents is redirected to the network folder.

There is nothing in C:/Users/username/Documents or ..../Pictures

Even after reconnecting to the network, my pictures and video go to This PC > Documents > Picture > Camera Roll which is where I want them to go. But my user's pictures and video go to the network or try to when he's not connected to the network.

Now I have a stupid question....Where is This PC > Documents (> Picture > Camera Roll) on my PC? There are no folders named "This PC" visible when using File Explorer or cmd. 

Thank you!
Sharon

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 4, 2024 Views 22,376 Applies to: