Win7 SP1 (KB976932) error code 8024200D

I have read a lot of threads about this & tried several approaches, but now need some guidance please!

Yesterday, Windows Update offered me KB976932 (Win7 Service Pack 1) so I selected it for install.
After a long period of activity, it came up with Error Code 8024200D.

I tried "Retry" with the same result.

I turned off my antivirus (Avira) & tried again - same result.

I ran "Troubleshooter > Fix problems with Windows Update" which claimed to have "Fixed" something, but no details.
I then tried installing a different update (KB 2460050) which installed OK, with Avira running as usual.
This morning, I tried KB976932 again (Avira on) - still Error 8024200D.

I installed the System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) & ran it.
The Log file CheckSUR says no errors detected.
Tried KB976932 again (Avira on) - still Error 8024200D.

The next recommended step seems to be to download SP1 from the Download Center & install it manually, instead of via Windows Update.
There seem to be 10 huge files to download & I don't see which ones I would need, nor how I would select only those files.
A little help there would be a good start, thanks!

Background:
Asus EeePC 1015PED Netbook - 2 months old
Win7 Starter Edition - 32 bit.
Windows Firewall on (always...).
Antivirus: Avira AntiVir Personal
The Netbook was supplied with a trial version of Trend Micro Titanium, but that was never activated & soon uninstalled.
All (80) previous updates installed OK with Avira running - the latest, the day before the incident were KB2552343 & 2545698 & 2547666.
Answer
Answer
There seem to be 10 huge files to download & I don't see which ones I would need, nor how I would select only those files.

A little help there would be a good start, thanks!

Background:

Win7 Starter Edition - 32 bit.

The most reliable and quickest way to install Windows 7 SP1 is to install manuall.

First of all make sure you install the prerequisite to installing SP1. You can get it from here... http://www.pagestart.com/win7sp1steps021611.html> How to increase your chances of installing Service Pack 1 successfully.

Then download SP1 manually from here... http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda

Click on continue, and select:

For 32-Bit Windows 7 download: windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe 537.8MB

Download, *save*, and install the Service Pack with no security software (antivirus/security suite) installed, disconnect from Internet, disable the fire-wall & close all non-essential process in the task manager. I also recommend taking off USB keys or any external media as this takes place.

When it is downloaded right-click on the file and select Run As Administrator from the menu.

01:04:2907/10/11

68 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 18, 2020 Views 53,845 Applies to: