[Win11] How to stop Windows Update replacing AMD Driver and disabling AMD Adrenaline?

Hello!

I've this issue, I've a Win11 laptop with AMD Radeon Graphics.

I've installed latest driver and AMD Adrenalin Edition program from AMD website, but Windows Update keep disabling both.

I've tried to re-install all, but after a while Windows Update again disable everything.

How can I fix this? I would like to be able to use AMD program.

AMD redirects me to fix the problem on https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-300 but it didn't really help, as I failed following other guides on the web.

Many thanks to those that will help me!

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Fabrizio,

Good day! I'm John Dev a Windows user like you and I'll be happy to assist you today. I know this has been difficult for you, Rest assured, I'm going to do my best to help you.

Please try using the “Show or Hide Updates” troubleshooter to hide the graphics driver update. Window Update won’t install hidden drivers or updates. Run the troubleshooter then please try hiding the graphics driver that will show in the list. You may try restarting your pc if it helps.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F2...

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Kind regards,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

First, thank you for you kind response!

Second, unfortunately the link you attached seems to not open.

And I cannot find this troubleshooter you're mentioning in the Microsoft Download Centre.

Do you have any other link?
Thanks!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Fabrizio,

Thank you for updating me with that information. Have you tried other web browsers?
Here's another link.
https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials...

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Kind regards,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ramesh, Windows Shell MVP 2003-2012.
If this post resolves your issue, pls mark it as an Answer.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So we are creating an error on ANY video card driver update to be able to block microsoft from installing old amd drivers on a updated system.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it does not work. and the older version of this program shows correctly the number of 3 updates pending. The new one only shows 2. :(

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is an almost weekly issue, and looking back seems to be happening daily. The ancient driver that M$ forces causes some epilepsy inducing flickering on certain programs. We should not need to attempt strange workarounds to get Windows to stop sabotaging our systems. There are 2.5 gpu brands out there, do some basic testing with something that isnt green.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So far so good, this tool was indeed what i needed for my rx 5500

thank you very much for this tool you made my life a lot easier

kudos

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This post from June 13 is still wholly true today on Dec 10.

The windows updates are unavoidable: the most one can do is delay the inevitable. You can pause them for a limited time, you can delay certain processes or the final system reboot after installs, but all of those all expire on what seems to be Microsoft's post-update judgement day, somewhere around a week to a month down the road. It is absolutely outrageous that there is legitimately no solution being offered to this problem of forcing a nearly decade-old driver down customers throats while in doing so, removing the fully current and more advanced graphics driver from the manufacturer, essentially throwing one's whole computing system into disarray and requiring roll-backs or workarounds to just get back to operable status quo.

The kicker for my predicament is that I work using exclusively external displays: the native display panel on my Lenovo device is toast due to water damage, so even the simplest access to the system - let alone any navigation - is entirely impossible when this windows update hijacks my graphics driver and renders my external displays unrecognizable to the system. It's fine and dandy to tell users to execute some backend manual software rollback, but when I am literally operating blind without any display, not much good it does me as there's no way to navigate to the drivers panel, uninstall the 2014/2015 dinosaur of a driver and then manually seek out the manufacturers driver, install that and then be on my way...

So the fact that this problem is, as noted here in June and earlier (dating back to years and years ago in other threads), happening every update, and that there is allegedly no concrete way to stop this or fix it, is frankly reflective of a lack of interest on Microsoft's part. We are all customers. You make the software, the whole platform, the whole kit & caboodle. You DO have within you the wherewithal and capability to fix this ridiculous issue: either at the source, by fixing how your updates are replacing current drivers with old, incompatible ones; or, by providing a simple and fail-safe method for users to fully block automatic updates - not just for a day or a week, but fully block the force-fed updates that are rendering our operating systems unstable, ineffective or in my case, inoperable entirely.

As Ricky would say, "this isn't rocket appliances here boys"

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yah. Ridiculous problem to start with, but then these suggested manual workarounds - required every single update cycle - as though we're on the brink of AI singularity but can't possibly crack how to just update with the actual updated drivers. Feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 11,144 Applies to: