WIN 10 reports hard disk error drive C

Yesterday my windows 10 advised my of a disk error on drive C...I backed up and made a recovery thumb drive. I called Asus, the guy was a dimwit advising me that if I send my computer in they cant put windows 10 back onto it, he didnt know what to do about the hard disk error, only advising me of waht they would do. After that I called a local man, he advised me to do a chkdsk through DOS. That took place on startup ran for 2 hours done. Restarted the computer after 3 hrs. found problem with hard drive error again...so I installed Seagate disk repair...ran that, no errors found, ran deeper scan, no errors found...then 2 hrs later, windows detected hard disk error. So then I ran the internal scan and fix disk with windows...after 2 minutes windows advised me that it had discoverd errors on drive C, and to fix them, so I rebooted the computer and after 3 minutes windows had fixed the errors. Now today after running for about 6 hours guess what, windows detected a disk error, so I scanned it again with the enternal windows check disk program and it said (no errors found) on drive C. I have a Asus ROG G751 gaming laptop, I7, geforce 860m, 24 GB of Ram. Please help, I think it might be a windows error instead of my computer.

Wade

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I tend to agree that the drive is good as it passed the Seagate tests. To confirm it, there may also be a test in BIOS you may run. (I know there is one in this Dell Inspiron 3542 that runs for hours.) But don't make changes in there that neither of us may understand.

To get into BIOS...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24620-G75-Bios-Access-Help

G75 BIOS Access Help

>>It says: Be sure computer has shut down, then press ESC as you boot, perhaps continuously.

While in there, note the version of the BIOS to determine whether it need be updated. But that can also be seen this way...

(1) R-Clk START, & select Run.

(2) Type MSInfo32, & hit ENTER.

BIOS version will show up at the System Summary page.

If your BIOS has a test for the drive - & the drive passes - then I think Win 10 has installed badly for you. Here is someone (Anthony Garreffa) with an ASUS ROG G751 who had to install it twice before it would work...

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/97/forcing-windows-10-update-actually/index.html

Forcing the Windows 10 update to actually, well, update

A BING on "Windows 10 Disk Error" produces many pages. But I'm not sure fighting the error makes sense, if neither Seagate nor BIOS agrees with Win 10. But - maybe - post what you see in Event Viewer...

(1) R-Clk START, & select Event Viewer.

(2) Open Windows Logs in the left pane, & click Application.

(3) Click Filter Current Log in the R-Pane.

(4) Type 26226 in the Event ID box, & hit ENTER.

Examine those for the first that shows serious errors & post it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Getting the same thing. Ran the disk repair several times. Yet Windows keeps throwing up the disk error message. I too am believing it is a Windows 10 issue and not my laptop. Truly annoying.

172 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to hear it.

(1) Is yours also an ASUS ROG G751?

(2) How soon after your upgrade to Win 10 did it start?

If fairly soon, consider a fresh install, (though some preparation is warranted).

(3) Did you install anything big after the upgrade?

(4)

a. R-Clk START, select "Run", type "MSInfo32", & hit ENTER.

System Information opens.

b. Does anything show up as a problem device?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Samsung NP305V5A laptop.

I had installed Windows 10 about a month ago, nothing really crazy except slow starting, but figured that out, and it was running smoothly.

Tried MSInfo32, nothing comes up. I did download Crystaldiskinfo and what comes up is the 'read error rate'.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found your support site...

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP305V5A-A01US

Support Site for NP305V5A

Unfortunately, none of the 38 "answers" there mention your problem. Also, it says your computer has a storage capacity of 320 GB, but we know it is 640.1 GB. Finally, the downloads all seem to be for Win 7 or XP, & I can find no diagnostic tool for your hard drive there.

One month of Win 10 before the problem showed up - I'm hoping that Win 10 didn't cause a hard drive problem, instead of just misreport it. I don't like that CrystalDisk seems to corroborate ChkDsk. Here is a site that does offer a tool said to be authored by Samsung...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/samsung_drive_diagnostic_utility_(hutil).html

Samsung Drive Diagnostic Utility (Hutil) 2.10

If that corroborates both CrystalDisk & ChkDsk, I must think your hard drive is actually bad (sorry to say).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for your detective work. I'll try that out. In the meantime I'm backing up all my important info and data in case of the death blow. Guess it could happen soon, or in months, so playing it safe. Cheers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are welcome. That's smart to have backups. Also - unless you'll just go for a new computer - perhaps start shopping for a replacement drive, & plan out the switch procedure. In the meantime, maybe "R-Clk START, Task Manager" & keep an eye on disk activity...

This is usually fairly low with little bumps up/down, unless the virus checker has kicked in or you scan the drive for errors. Then, the process responsible will light up below...

You might find an errant or unnecessary process constantly using the drive. Good luck, & keep us informed.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone have a solution to this issue? 
Fernando

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

(I'll answer for sue, in case she has received her death blow.) What is your full story?       

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I upgraded my Toshiba Satellite L655 to Windows 10 Pro on the 29 of July (used to have Windows 7 Home Premium) A few minutes after (or almost as soon) it finished upgrading Windows tells me that there's a problem with my hard disk. I press ask later and use my laptop for a full day, I close it and a 5 min later I hear a notification, went to check and it's the same error message. Is this a Win10 problem or...?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 3, 2024 Views 20,912 Applies to: