Win 10 installation error 0xc1900101-0x40017

While trying to install windows ten over a Win 7 x64 bit operation system, through burnt iso, or via download, I got this error message 0x1900101-0x40017. The installation failed at the second_boot phase with an error durring boot operation. Any idea's?

I installed windows 10 on le

|

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I would suggest you to follow steps provided by Andre Da Costa from the link given below and check.

Link:How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683  

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If confident your hardware is modern enough to meet the Windows 10 Specifications and are aware of any unsupported OS features, then you can bypass Get Windows 10 app in the System Tray to Install  Windows 10 using the media creation tool choosing the first option to automate the Upgrade. 

However in the same amount of time it takes to download you can choose the second option "Create Media for another PC" to make bootable flash or DVD media to keep for any needed repairs or reinstall, and can be run from Desktop to Upgrade.  This media also gives you an extra option to "Save Nothing" during Upgrade which overcomes Upgrade choking on corruption or bloated factory installs and gets as close to a superior Clean Install as an Upgrade can get. 

To run the Upgrade the media must be opened in Windows 7, then right click Setup file to Run as Administrator. 

If asked do not insert a Product Key at any time, just click Skip or Next. 

If you want to  maximize chances for a successful Upgrade, then choose to Save Nothing so the Upgrade has much less to choke on.  Make sure your files are backed up separately and you have your program installers and any Product Keys for programs like Office

To improve the Upgrade's chances turn off everything at Startup:

In Windows 7, type msconfig in Start Search Box, uncheck everything on Startup and Services tabs, but only after ticking the box in Services to “Hide all MS Services”.  Then click Apply, restart PC when prompted

Uninstall any anti-virus except Defender.  Bloated AV's like Norton, MacAfee, AVG and Avast need to have special Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase.

Stick with built-in Defender in Windows 10 for best performance and adequate protection.  If you get infected add the inexpensive Real Time protection from the best-in-class free malware scanner Malwarebytes . No one I’ve had do this has ever been infected again.  I'd also periodically scan with free Malwarebytes or AdwCleaner  scanners.

It’s highly recommended to Create a backup System Image  of your existing OS before upgrading, which can be recovered using the booted Windows installation media, Repair CD  or Recovery flash drive in 20 minutes.   Type Backup in Start Search box, in Backup and Recovery Center choose Create a System Image.  You can also use a more flexible imaging program like free Macrium Imaging  which allows recovery to any partition position on the hard drive.

Immediately after install, type Update in Start Search box to Check for Updates, expedite these through requested restart, then check again until no more are offered. 

Next right click Start button to open Device Manager, import any drivers still missing from the PC or Device's Support Downloads webpage.  How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes.

Windows MVP 2010-20

Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 12 years. Now an Independent Advisor.

I do not quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well i did a number of the ideas put forth by microsoft supports respounce to my inquiry here, with no luck. I hadn't actually sat through the whole installation process, till today, and saw a error that showed up prior to the windows did the automated roll back to my windows 7 prof installation, that pertained to a KT1.sys file that was causing some sort of error in the nonexecutive memory. I then did a search for a solution, and came a crossed this link via google that was the fix

https://comparing4u.wordpress.com/2015/08/16/windows-10-installation-failure/comment-page-1/#comment-30

Basically the guy deleted the KT1.sys which according to links garnerned via autoruns, that it pertained to kaspersky virus detection, that was still in the Windows/System32/Drivers folder.

I don't have Kaspersky installed, but i think i installed it at one point possibly. I deleted this KT1.sys file, and made sure it wasn't booting up anymore via the autoruns program, then did another attempt at installing Windows 10, which was successful this time.

I don't understand why this file error code doesn't pop up like the

1900101-0x40017

code did after I logged back into the rolled back windows 7. If i would of saw the error code that popped up before the automated role back to my previous windows 7 installation, that pointed to the specific file Kt1.sys, It would of made my attempts at tracking down the problem much quicker. Not everyone has the time to sit through, or really wants to sit through a automated install, to see if windows chokes on something, and can't install properly. I highly suggest they change this, so that all failure codes/ information is available at the end.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

That's all fine that your solution worked for everybody else. I've had my pc working since windows 7 started, with out refreshing, or reinstalling back to base line, since I've bought it. I still have all the programs installed, despite a few occasions, or problems that i fixed with the boot ini, preventing boot up. I've installed, and reinstalled a lot of programs, that have apparently cause some odd issues, that microsoft's newest operating system wasn't able to cope with, and fix during it's installation.

Your fix didn't work for me, and I explained my solution that I found, which did work for me, so why don't you stop being a asshat, and go take this information to people at microsoft, and see if they can throw this kt1.sys file inside the folder, and come up with a way so this doesn't happen to other people again during there future installations.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2020 Views 3,428 Applies to: