Win 10 Dialog boxes are rarely 'on-top' of other windows like they were in Win 7.

I have Windows 10 installed on two devices, a small Asus convertible tablet and my gaming desktop. On both of these, when I am installing something, or doing something that would give me an alert / error window, the 'alert' is almost always UNDER the window of the thing that is causing the alert. This behavior did not happen in Windows 7 or XP to my recollection.

Example: When copying files using Explorer, the file transfer window used to be 'on-top' of the Explorer window you were copying to when you selected that window. Now it can be hidden under other windows. Minor annoyance.

Example. You are about to go off to work, have a file being edited in a program. You save it and It has to process the file before saving. If an alert shows up, say asking to confirm a file overwrite the existing file, it USED to pop up on top of all current widows. Now it stays under all other windows. I have breakfast, get ready to leave for work, thinking that the file is processing and saving in a sync folder so I can use the edited file at work. (it should only take a few minutes to process) Out of curiosity, I close the editing program, only to find a hidden dialog box underneath several windows. The alert did not rise on top of the other windows, so I did not know by looking at the screen that there was an issue. Very annoying.

Is this normal behavior? is there a way to have dialog pop-ups be 'on-top' of other windows anymore? I never used Windows 8.1, does it exhibit this behavior? (I could get a Win 8.1 licence and downgrade if it is the only way to fix it, or just go back to Win 7 for another year until EOL in 2020)

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

It is unfortunate that you are facing this issue after upgrading to Windows 10. I would kindly suggest you to follow the below suggestions and check if it works.

What is the built version of Windows that is installed on your computer?

Method 1: Enable UAC with a Registry edit.

• Go to search window and type regedit (open in admin mode).

• Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

• In the right pane, modify the value of the EnableLUA DWORD value and set it to 1 (If you do not have DWORD value, then create it).

• Restart your computer and check.

Registry Disclaimer: The registry is a database in Windows that contains important information about system hardware, installed programs and settings, and profiles of each of the user accounts on the computer. Windows often reads and updates the information in the registry.

Normally, software programs make registry changes automatically. You should not make unnecessary changes to the registry. Changing registry files incorrectly can cause Windows to stop working or make Windows report the wrong information.

Please take a backup of the registry. Follow the steps given in the link below:

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

You may follow the below method if you are on Windows 10 Pro build:

• Go to search window and type edit group policy and double click on it.

• Navigate to Computer configuration\ Windows setting \ Local policy \ Security options \ User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation.

• Double click on it to open it, then toggle it to Enable.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mala S wrote:

What is the built version of Windows that is installed on your computer?

The OS build is 17763.253. The Version is 1809, WIndows 10 Professional.

Mala S wrote:

...I would kindly suggest you to follow the below suggestions and check if it works.
...Method 1: Enable UAC with a Registry edit.

I get UAC prompts when installing something new or making a system change. I don't 'think' I have a problem with UAC not working...

However, is this UAC registry edit a 'fix' for my problem, most dialog boxes not being on-top of other windows? If yes, could you link the knowledge base article that describes the problem and uses this as a solution so I can review it? I really don't wan't to make registry changes if they are not absolutely needed.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delay in response.

We reproduced the issue on our PC by modifying the registry settings and we were able to get the pop-ups on the top of all the windows. So, you may try editing the registry once to check if the issue persists. But make sure that you have taken a backup of the registry before making any changes.

Also, we found a few workarounds for this issue which has helped people.

1. I would suggest you to turn off tablet mode and check if you are able to get pop-ups.

2. I would suggest checking for some registry settings and if you have any variations from the default value you may change them to default and check if the issue resolves -

a. Choose Start and then click Run option, and type regedit in the Open text box then click OK.

b. Open the key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.

c. Now in the registry editor window in the right pane you will find the keys Foreground Flash Count and Foreground Lock timeout.

Refer to the below links and check if you have the same values as mentioned in the below links -

Registry Disclaimer: The registry is a database in Windows that contains important information about system hardware, installed programs and settings, and profiles of each of the user accounts on the computer. Windows often readsand updates the information in the registry.

Normally, software programs make registry changes automatically. You should not make unnecessary changes to the registry. Changing registry files incorrectly can cause Windows to stop working or make Windows report the wrong information.

Please take a backup of the registry. Follow the steps given in the link below:

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

3. When you face pop-up issue, right click on the taskbar and unlock the taskbar, then lock it again. Close all the applications and restart them.

4. Go to File Explorer > View > Options > put a check mark on Launch folder windows in a separate process > click on OK and Apply.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2024 Views 3,119 Applies to: