Win 10 1903 May 29, 2019—KB4497935 (OS Build 18362.145) still fails the update from a USB stick.

According to the description of the fixes in KB4497935 the bug with the USB devices should have been fixed, but it still does not allow updates with installation media on a USB stick.

Fix description:

"Addresses an issue that may cause an external USB device or SD memory card to be reassigned to an incorrect drive during installation. For more information, see "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10" error on a computer that has a USB device or SD card attached"

I tried to do an update with installation media build 18362.145 on a system already at 18362.145 and still gets the error message below:

Is there a fix yet for this bug in the v 1903 release ? Which build do I need to get this bug fixed ?

I know that I can work around the issue installing from a local drive.

Also if I try upgrading from1903 to a preview 20H1 build 18908.1000 using a USB stick the update completes without this message.

I hope we don't need to wait for 20H1 to get this bug resolved.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2019 Views 759 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

How do you know your 1903 Installation USB is OS Build 18362.145? I just downloaded the MediaCreationTool1903.exe from...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download Windows 10 -  Currently, this is 1903

…& here are its Properties...

I'm running it now, but I expect the Properties of Setup.exe on the Installation USB it creates to be the same as above: 10.0.18362.1. If I am wrong & it turns out to be as you said, then I will feel more confident to apply it to my 1809. I am more & more impatient for it to arrive through Windows Update.

But I don't know what has to be fixed to make the USB problem go away.

(a) Is it indeed 1903's Setup.exe?

Then when/how will they tell us they made one that works? Will its Properties show it?

(b) Or is it the installation to which 1903 is being applied?

You are applying it (doing an over-install) to 1903 that has the fix (KB4497935). So it should have worked.

Oops. Here's what I got...

I'm going to reboot & try again. After that, I'll look up the error code. And I'm only trying to create an Installation USB at this point!

Edit: It took 3 tries to create that thing. Here is its Setup.exe...

So - if it takes a change to Setup.exe to fix the USB problem - I don't see that it's been done yet. Is there another way to know whether they've made a change to it? Is the one you are using the same size of 72.1 KB?

But I haven't tried the upgrade yet & don't know whether this computer will have that problem in the first place.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi fg,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 2-Year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Media creation tool isn't updated immediately. It might take a while for the fix to get it corrected in the installation media. In your case, would suggest you to copy the installation media to the hard drive and then manually update after removing the SD Card/USB Stick.
Sumit

MVP Profile:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/8b836f17-c1e9-4b5a-98cc-520ecfc08aaa

HP Envy 15 Notebook | Gigabyte GA-970A PC

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi fg,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 2-Year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Media creation tool isn't updated immediately. It might take a while for the fix to get it corrected in the installation media. In your case, would suggest you to copy the installation media to the hard drive and then manually update after removing the SD Card/USB Stick.

Hi Sumit,

I know the workaround, but I was trying to see if they fixed the bug.

The installation media was created from an ISO file that was obtained with UUP-dump that includes Kb4497935 and when I boot from it and go to command prompt it shows build 18362.145, which means it has the update.

I think I see what the problem is the setup.exe on the installation media was not updated accordingly, even on the 1st official release of the installation media that shows build 18362.30 in the command prompt, it still has the setup.exe at level 18362.1 dated 4/1/2019 4:54 PM , the one created at 18362.145 has the setup.exe still at level 18362.1 dated 5/22/2019 11:31 AM, that means that while the software has the latest updates, the installation setup.exe is still old even if it has a different date and time.

I hope they don't forget to update the windows installer setup.exe part when they make the official update of the installation ISO.

Thanks.

Command prompt after booting from Installation media:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.145]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

X:\Sources>

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PCR, 

I can see where the confusion is.

I checked the build level on the command prompt after booting from the installation media and it shows 18362.145, but the level of the setup.exe is still 18362.1, that means they did not update that part and they still check for the USB devices to block the update.

I guess another separate fix is needed for the windows installer.

Perhaps Kb4497935 did not include a new installer setup.exe ?

X:\Sources>

Sorry this didn't help.

I saw your prior post & just returned from two reboots.

(1) My 1903 USB shows 10.0.18362.30 at the Command Prompt & ...1 in Setup.exe.

(2) My 1809 USB shows 10.0.17763.107 at Command Prompt & ...1 in Setup.exe.

I guess that's what they install, because no greater OS Build was around when they were made. If it's a clean install & one clicked to have it get updates, it would read them in during the install. But an over-install wouldn't do that (I don't think).

Yep, I think they have to fix the installer (Setup.exe). But I'm wondering now whether it would still have ...1 as its version. Then we'd have to go to the Command Prompt of the Installation USB to know what OS Build it really is. It looks like DISM can do it too...

But I'm not sure where this really gets us.

Edit: Uh-oh. Now I see you were using Installation media that says it is ...145 at a Command Prompt & the Setup.exe is ...1. I was thinking that should work. Not sure what to think now.

Sorry this didn't help.

"Uh-oh. Now I see you were using Installation media that says it is ...145 at a Command Prompt & the Setup.exe is ...1. I was thinking that should work. Not sure what to think now."

Hi PCR,

The block that checks for the USB is in the Windows installer, if they don't update the setup.exe in the installation media it will still fail from the USB even if the Installation wim is at 18362.145.

Anyway, to workaround the bug I just did the upgrade on all my PC just using the ISO file on a local disk instead of using the USB stick.

Just open the windows.iso file with file explorer and click the setup from there, make sure you don't have any USB storage plugged in and it will work fine.

All my machines were upgraded from 1809 build 17763.529 to 1903 build 18362.30 and then windows update brought them up to 18362.145.

Now we just have to wait for Microsoft to release a new installer for 1903 without the damn USB block.

Would be much easier if MS specified what level is available to download with the media creation tool, it is a waste of time to download just to find out that it is still the old version.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had good luck with a 32 GB USB drive where 8 GB and 16 GB failed.  Even with that, one system would not install until I removed an SD card.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had good luck with a 32 GB USB drive where 8 GB and 16 GB failed.  Even with that, one system would not install until I removed an SD card.

Hi Saltgrass, 

Perhaps the bigger USB sticks are detected as different devices and may not trigger the trap ?

I have two 32GB USB-3 sticks, I may just give it a try to see if that is the case....

It sure fails with 8GB and 16GB Sandisk USB-2 devices.

Sorry this didn't help.

PCR, 

See here what it shows on my 145 Install.wim, this is still blocked from the USB.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:J:\Sources\Install.wim /Index:1

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Details for image : J:\Sources\Install.wim

Index : 1
Name : Windows 10 Pro
Description : Windows 10 Pro
Size : 14,787,534,421 bytes
WIM Bootable : No
Architecture : x64
Hal : <undefined>
Version : 10.0.18362
ServicePack Build : 145
ServicePack Level : 0
Edition : Professional
Installation : Client
ProductType : WinNT
ProductSuite : Terminal Server
System Root : WINDOWS
Directories : 19685
Files : 89891
Created : 5/30/2019 - 10:36:41 PM
Modified : 5/30/2019 - 10:42:11 PM
Languages :
        en-US (Default)

The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello fg2001,

Today I created 32 GB USB installer from official ISO (Win10_1903_V1_English_x64.ISO), build 18362.30 using Rufus.

Clean Install to empty HDD was OK, but when I restore old image of 17763 and try update it using that same 32 GB USB I get same error message as shown on you original posting.

P.S. After over one year of using SSD's I was "shocked" how slow those HDD's are.

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Sorry this didn't help.